Multiple GSWs

DesertEMT

Patient is status 1 (critical, life threatening problem)

Everything besides time to reach an appropriate hospital pales into insignificance and need not be done if it delays us getting him to hospital

Get him in the ambulance, either grab a bunch of cops and carry him there or have somebody very quickly get us the stretcher.

If we can get a drip into him, something big like a 14g in his AC, then let's do that, if not, I am not worried about it

Get going towards hospital with much early notification, the radiologist and consultant surgeon may be on call at home you never know, or they might need to clear CT or open up another theatre

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Basic with expanded protocols I would:

1. Three way occlusive dressing to sucking chest wound.

2. Bleeding Control in other wounds

3. Large bore IV with Ringers Lactate

4. O2 titrated to maintain SSPO2 around 96

5. Positive pressure ventilation to help pneumothorax

6. Notify hospital

7. Waste no time in transport

Open up the lines and titrate to keep bp @ 90 systolic.

Initiate MFI to secure airway

Needle decompression on the affected side (3rd intercostal space if memory should serve me right)

Place the combo pads on in route and be ready for cardiac arrest

Call into the level 1 trauma center and alert them to have a surgical team ready

Be ready for vomiting of blood

put on safety googles/ glasses

do I have an engine onscene where I can take rescue crew with me to handle ventilations?

if not ill steal a cop and have him do it

also I didnt see if anyone else asked this but....Has this guy been searched for weapons himself.

Trachea is beginning to show slight deviation to the right side

Abdomen is rigid & distended with diffuse tenderness

Chest wound is a sucking chest wound (sorry I forgot to mention that)

patient admits to being nauseous and urinating himself, you note hematuria

patient had lost almost 30% of his blood volume when you first arrived on scene and when you begin to load the patient onto the gurney his BP begins to drop, while his heart rate begins to increase, as does his respiration's. His mental status also begins to deteriorate, the patient shows a marked increase in anxiety and confusion

A sucking chest wound gets a defibrillation pad placed over it; three way dressings are a waste of time

Give him one litre of fluid as a bolus through a big bore drip; we want to give him just enough fluid to perfuse his brain

Initiate MFI to secure airway

Whatchoo talkin bout?

Needle decompression on the affected side (3rd intercostal space if memory should serve me right)

He most likely has a left sided haemothorax; decompressing "just in case" carries a high risk of piercing the lung as haemothorax will push the lung anteriorally

Place the combo pads on in route and be ready for cardiac arrest

If this bloke does have a cardiac arrest, the most likely rhythm will be PEA or asystole so I wouldn't bother

do I have an engine onscene where I can take rescue crew with me to handle ventilations?

if not ill steal a cop and have him do it

One thing I've never understood is the American phenomonia of "assisting ventilation" it's not something we do here if the patient is spontaneously breathing unless oxygenation is very, very poor and such patients are excellent candidates for RSI.

If his oxygenation is OK then you should avoid the temptation to do this, remember this bloke may indeed have a lowered SpO2 because he has lot a considerable amount of his blood volume and haemoglobin (so reduced oxygen carrying capacity); cramming more oxygen down his gob is not going to help because if it can't be carried then it's really no good.

MFI (Medicine Facilitated Intubation)

Its same principles as RSI however it does not use a paralytic. It just uses versed and a long lasting sedative (cant remember the one our protocols use but Ill be glad to check once I'm done with clinicals)

MFI (Medicine Facilitated Intubation)

Its same principles as RSI however it does not use a paralytic. It just uses versed and a long lasting sedative (cant remember the one our protocols use but Ill be glad to check once I'm done with clinicals)

I would be extremely hesitant to go near this patient with RSI and even less inclined to go near him with gangsta old school butcher shop style "medication facilitated intubation". Such practice was banned here 10 years ago because it kills people. Nothing against you personally mate but both of these are big no-no's.

For a patient with haemmorhage the only thing midazolam (versed) is going to do is drop his blood pressure even more, which really is not a good thing. Ketamine is appropriate as an induction agent because it has a low cardiovascular risk profile and is very safe for shocked patients. Should you want to intubate somebody you absolutely must use a paralytic agent, be it most commonly suxamethonium or something longer acting. To not do this is extremely poor practice and requires that you use larger dosages of sedation (especially midazolam).

My anaesthesia texts and discussions with several anaesthetists has lead me to understand that in-hospital these patients are likely to concurrently receive several units of red blood cells and plasma as well as an ED ultrasound to identify the source of bleeding and once they are bit more stable they will be anaesthetised and moved to theatre.

One of my more basic anaesthesia textbooks (written for the anaesthetist working in a developing country) talks of the "cascade" anaesthesia technique of fluid (or blood) resuscitation paralysis, intubation, induction and analgesia in that order. Apparently it's an actual thing.

Kiwi Quote A sucking chest wound gets a defibrillation pad placed over it; three way dressings are a waste of time

Would you be so kind as to offer an explanation?

Would you be so kind as to offer an explanation?

Absolutely not, you must accept everything I say as Gospel and never question it! :D

In a recent clinical circular, our Clinical Management Group stated

If there is a penetrating chest or upper abdominal injury then it should be sealed with an occlusive dressing. We recommend a defibrillation pad placed over the wound. We do not recommend attempting to create a one way valve by taping a dressing on three sides over the wound. The reason for this is threefold; first - it is rare for a tension pneumothorax to develop in this situation, secondly – it can be very tricky and time consuming to do and thirdly – such dressings rarely work.