Recognizing Your Own Bias

Eydawn

I agree that most stereotypes begin with a seed of truth. They can be helpful, especially in understanding cultural differences that can aid us in developing rapport with people across cultures (racial, religious or otherwise). The power is in recognizing them for what they are and remembering that they are, for the most part, an inaccurate starting point in human interaction.

Since I wear many hats in EMS I get to experience biases on both ends of the spectrum. In a single week I can speak in front of an EMT class and be considered brilliant...or lame (I'm neither), then speak on a subject at a conference and be considered a subject matter expert, (I'm not), then give a group of five year olds a tour of my station and be considered a superhero, (I'm not), then I can walk into a downtown ER to drop off a patient while wearing my bunker pants and fire t-shirt and be considered a complete idiot (I'm not).

In every case, I'm the same guy. I'm an average paramedic with average skills and average knowledge. I know somethings well beyond my scope or the expectations of my job and I don't know some other things that I probably should. I run some really good calls and I run some really bad calls. I perform fantastic sometimes and other times I make some stupid mistakes. And it doesn't seem to matter if I'm wearing a suit, or a private ambulance uniform or a fire uniform. (And I wear them all.)

Here's one of the worst things about stereotypes within our industry (and on this message board). It makes people fear being authentic.

Great thread.

• Like 2

Here's one of the worst things about stereotypes within our industry (and on this message board). It makes people fear being authentic.

Amen. Well put. Excellent post overall, Steve!

So... what do y'all think, to rehash another topic we've covered, about the idea of making sure that you have access to medical interpretation? Should everyone here learn English? Or should we be ready to accomodate any patient?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Amen. Well put. Excellent post overall, Steve!

So... what do y'all think, to rehash another topic we've covered, about the idea of making sure that you have access to medical interpretation? Should everyone here learn English? Or should we be ready to accomodate any patient?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Uh oh- this could take a nasty turn... LOL

Accomodate every patient? Isn't that a bit impossible? I'm all for being able to converse with your patients, but what if you live in a large area where you could run into a dozen or so different languages in the course of your tour of duty? If you know you have a large population of a certain ethnic group in your primary response area, then it would certainly behoove you to at least learn some key phrases in their language. Problem is, many folks have large areas to cover and it would be impossible to be familiar with every language you may encounter.

I'm of the opinion that if you are a citizen here- even naturalized or on a visa- you SHOULD be speaking English. I think it's arrogant to assume that your host country should adapt to YOUR language, but that's just me. When visiting Mexico, I always brush up on my Spanish, since even though it's only a vacation, I make the attempt to converse in the native language- as horribly butchered as it may be.

• Like 1

My knee jerk reaction is that everyone in our country in a professional capacity should speak English, but I'm also pretty confident that there are a ton of issues indirectly related that I don't, and may never, understand. So I'm going to abstain except for the comments below.

Having worked with with many cultures now that I shared little or no language with I can tell you that I find that sharing a language offers very little in regards to emergent medical care.

It's very often, if not most often, when treating patients that speak English that the information that they give me is slanted towards what they think that I want to know instead of giving answers to the actual questions. They often have a hidden agenda that queers their conscious presentation as well as their responses.

What is your pain level? "10/10". Do you take any drugs? "No." Where does it hurt? "Sort of over here, but here too, and over there it hurt yesterday."

I rarely believe anything told to me if I can't verify it another way, so sometimes in emergent situations things are clearer and simpler when no conversation is available and I'm forced to start in the basement and develop my DDx from physiological markers only.

Do I wish that everyone that came here had a desire to speak English. Yeah, but I don't know if that's right or wrong. Do I believe that a person needs to speak English to be a good medical provider? I don't, assuming that we're speaking only of medicine and not documentation, hand-off reports, etc.

So, bottom line...I have no idea why I posted this crap and cluttered the thread when I have no idea what the right answer is, only that I refused to delete it after taking the time to type.

I'm really interested in the supported thoughts of others on this subject though...

As for interpreting, theres' been very few times that I've not had someone who could interpret for me to the patient.

Now those times that I've needed an interpreter have also been very few.

I have had probably 30-50 times in 20 years that I've needed an interpreter and of those times about 18 of those times I've had someone who could interpret for me.

The other 2 we did pretty good without.

I urge those of you who have not done so to program in the AT&T language interprety line. I'm not sure of the number right now and I don't have my phone but I'm almost positive that the service is free. (someone correct me if I'm wrong on the price).

Every system in which I've worked has been set up that if you need the language line you can call 911, tell the operator who answers the phone who you are and what you need, and they'll connect you through to the language line that way. I have used this method before with pretty decent success. Speaker phones help.

Wendy: Where do we draw the line?

I have mastered the language of my land of birth along with the variations per mutated by the Brits, Scots, Aussies and even the kiwi's. I also learned sign language & enough japanese and vietnamese to get by, and took a couple years of texican spanish in school 35 years ago. I have a few phrases of Polish and Russian and enough Quebecois to be able to order a decent meal and a good beer.

Why should we as providers in our own country be responsible for learning any one of the other several hundred dialects being spoken by the many immigrants to our country.

English is the International language of the sea and for airline pilots and air traffic control

OK stepping down off my soapbox for a while