Finally landed a job.

EMTDenny

I don't know if this is the proper place to chat about this but if it is, just lock it up or delete the thread.

I finally landed a job after a long long wait. I received my cert around September of last year.

I now work part time for a EMS agency and a perdium position with the other agency.

Oddly these both jobs seems to be only inter facilities transport only, no 911 calls... Well I guess it's

a start for me to put my foot in the door and get some good experience.

Denny

You will learn a lot more medicine in general doing IFTs than you will doing 911 calls. They aren't as sexy or as glamorous but they can be more educational.

Edit: spelled IFT wrong

Edit #2: spelled spelled wrong

Edited by ERDoc
  • Like 4

As the Doc said, IFTs are often really sick, plus they often know much about the conditions that they suffer from then you ever will.

Don't miss the opportunity to learn from them! They are often so used to people transporting them like cattle that if you show interest they appreciate the opportunity to teach as well as allow you to practice and learn.

The phrase, "What can you tell me about your condition that they didn't teach me in school?" will serve you well. And SEE them. They have names, and fears, and hopes, and broken hearts. You need to add those things to your assessment if you're going to have a complete patient picture.

I was once transporting a "cutter" from the ER to a psych hospital. She had 4 full thickness lacs to the anterior forearm approx 8" long. There had been exposed muscle tissue in each. This isn't one of the 'scratches' suicide attempts. I asked her, "Babe, (don't use babe, it's unprofessional and...well, you know) what don't I know about what's going on with you today? What can you teach me today that will make me better for the next person that I'm called for?"

She said, "That it's not about attention. That cutting feels so amazing because it makes the pain come to the outside of me for a while. That having painful arms, but a quiet head is almost orgasmic." That changed the way that I looked at her, and all like her, forever.

Feel their pulses, all of them! Listen to their lungs, notice what their skin looks like, ask about their conditions. How did they first know that they were sick? How did they progress? What kind of complications do they suffer that might not be obvious?

I don't think that I've ever done an IFT that a patient didn't teach me something new.

Denny, you're going to be really good at this brother. But now that you're actually working, you're going to daily face the most massive challenge of your career. Not allowing people to convince you that being callous and disinterested is the way that you show competence. That being different, within logical, intelligent parameters, is bad.

I'm not even in the top 70% of the smartest people here, or in my field, but I often find things, and I believe, give more competent treatment than many of my peers because I choose to not only asses each patient to provide care, but try and learn something new from each one as well. With that attitude you'll discover some surprising things that you never expected.

Good luck my friend...keep us informed, ok?

Edit: And don't forget that like you, many, many people will follow here that will wonder what it's like to start a new EMS job. As it's now your responsibility to be continuously learning, it is equally your responsibility to teach those that come after you. Post and allow them to learn from you while the experiences are still fresh in your mind.

Dwayne

• Like 1

Congrats, Denny! Well done!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Thank you all!! Dwayne, what you wrote was truly amazing and inspirational. I never considered until now how important and educational IFT can be. Just to let you know I take everything you say and of course EMT city members very serious and I am willing to take as much advice that can be given. As soon as I set foot in that ambulance my experience post will be put up. I hope and soon one day I will be able to give advice just like the one you been giving me since I became a member.

Thanks a lot.

Denny