Hello everyone.

BillKaneEMT

Hi there! I'm Bill and I'm a newly certified EMT-B in Indiana. I've been working security for the past 3 years and decided it was time to look for an actual career so I signed up for the EMT course through the American Red Cross, finished the class, practical, state written, and month long background check. Now I have my cert and I've been looking for work as an EMT. I found this place by chance and I've spent the last few days going through most of the threads here. Great stuff! It's rare these days to find an internet community whose members seem both helpful and friendly.

I've put in applications at a few local companies and online as well. I've had 2 tentative offers but both would have required me to relocate and both paid just over 9 dollars an hour, and that simply isn't enough for me to move a hundred or two hundred miles. I was surprised when the companies told me that I'd have to provide my own driving record and my own criminal background check as well. I've never run into that before from an employer. Is that common practice these days? If so I might just go ahead and pay to have them done but it just seemed odd.

In any case, I look forward to talking with you all in the near future. I'm on graveyards at the moment so I need to get ready for work shortly but again, it's great to find a place like this. Be safe out there!

Hello Bill,

Did you get to keep a copy of a the background check that you just had done? The prospective employer might that that one if you have it. Also I don't know, but if you buy insurance through an agent he/she might be able to get you driving record as a perk for being their client.

Welcome.

Thanks for the advice DFIB, I did pay for the check and kept several copies. I'll check on the insurance, I use Allstate and I really like them but asking can't do any harm. Besides, I've never been in accident or gotten a moving violation so they oughtta love me:)

Thanks Mike, I'll check with the interviewer next time I get a call. Just hope it's for BP or some local place that pays more than 9 bucks an hour.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.