Improvising a spacer

Use of a spacer has been shown to improve medication delivery of a MDI over use of the MDI alone. Especially in children.

This. For children the use of a spacer over oxygen driven nebuliser if their asthma is mild to moderate is appropriate.

Bloody asthma plans, oral steroids and steroid containing preventer (like Flixotide) and patient education ... I haven't seen given nor given adrenaline for life threatening asthma in over a year!

• Like 1

plastic cup with bottom cut out(hole big enough to fit the inhaler in) and put it up to the patients mouth and nose, make a seal and then push the inhaler. Then have the patient breath deeply.

even better is a 'large' or 'bat fastard' size cup (500 ml or imp pint ) from a fast food place as that is the kind of volume a real spacer is and generally provides a better face seal

interestingly the use of nebs is frowned up in some places vs 10 puffs via spacer repeated every few minutes - but some of this is trying to wean people off the idea that nebulisers are a cure-all and that MDI and spacer is an effective emergency option.

also if you are in the position of not having nebs as a treatment option ( either because they are not authorised for your grade or because you've run out) the patient's own MDI and a spacer may be the best option you have

Edited by zippyRN
  • Like 1

even better is a 'large' or 'bat fastard' size cup (500 ml or imp pint ) from a fast food place as that is the kind of volume a real spacer is and generally provides a better face seal

If you get them to drink what is in the cup before they use it they can also get the diabeetus and be just like everybody else with their Western lifestyle induced co-morbidities so there's plenty of patients for me when I come and work in UK; nee naw nee naw red base november 100 on location, hi there mate better make it two scoops of chips please we're feeding the whole complex tonight sort of thing ....

interestingly the use of nebs is frowned up in some places vs 10 puffs via spacer repeated every few minutes - but some of this is trying to wean people off the idea that nebulisers are a cure-all and that MDI and spacer is an effective emergency option.

For mild to moderate asthma in children I'll use their own spacer if they have one; I think it's more settling and familiar to them then shoving a nebuliser mask and cramming nebulised salbutamol down their gob.

[if nebs] are not authorised for your grade... the patient's own MDI and a spacer may be the best option you have

You must be referring to those new whiz-bang high tech nine week trained Emergency Care Assistants ... transforming NHS Ambulance Services my ass, for the worse maybe.

Anyway must digress, my chips are ready, time to go feed the complex :D

Use of a spacer has been shown to improve medication delivery of a MDI over use of the MDI alone. Especially in children.

Yes I am well aware and I had actually written that in my first sentence which was mysteriously edited but right after posting this I was then unable to access the site for 2 days. Anyways, my point is why do you need to improvise? If you are in emergent situation, effective coaching will assist for the immediate short term need...up to and including multiple or more frequent inhalations.

I just felt the snazzy jazzy improvisation (which has yet to be revealed FYI) would be more of a time waster than good old common sense in this particular scenario.

I don't think the original poster has a technique, he was probably trolling for ways to justify why his service shouldn't have to purchase spacers as a cost cutting measure.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.