Critical care Paramedic course on-line

Ana

I did not know UMBC offered online CCEMTP programmes? This has never been discussed and the college where I work has just completed the process of obtaining a CCEMTP and PNCCT site license. Perhaps you are talking about another course?

Okay; however, my question remains. I am not aware of any online CCEMTP courses. When you say CCEMTP, I assume you are talking about the UMBC CCEMTP curriculum. As far as I know, the curriculum is still based around 80 hours of "brick and mortar" didactic and clinical lab time with an optional clinical rotation. Online critical care options exist; however, I am not aware of the CCEMTP course being one.

With that being said, your best bet is to obtain real world experience and learn how to be a good, entry level paramedic.

Thanks! I am not trying to be pretentious! I am planning to get a lot of real world experience and be as good entry level paramedic as my knowledge allows me to! However I though it would not hurt get some education aside!

How do you have your paramedic license if you haven't taken your practicals yet?

I'm with CHBARE. Get some experience as an entry level paramedic. Then, after you've been doing this a few years, when a class becomes available you can take a critical care course. You've got a lot to learn between now and then. And the critical care courses expect some level of knowledge beyond a brand new entry level provider.

You are right! I am about to get it as soon I pass my practicals! I am sorry but I type on my phone and sometimes I don't check what I wrote! The reason I got to this website was to gather info on how to be a good medic and I thought the class was one resource besides others

I have people in my class that started the critical care before finish class and the only reason I did not take also was time! They are not more experienced than me so I thought it would not be a big deal!

I am not trying to show off and I do not need anyone to place me down! I know I am not as experienced as you guys and that is the reason I register here! To learn a little more! My question has no pretentiousness!

Thanks! I am not trying to be pretentious! I am planning to get a lot of real world experience and be as good entry level paramedic as my knowledge allows me to! However I though it would not hurt get some education aside!

No worries, I don't believe you are being pretentious. I am attempting to find out exactly what you mean by CCEMTP. Are you referring to the specific programme I've mentioned or the more nebulous concept of critical care education? Also, I am not well versed on your education, so it would be premature to make a definitive statement on your ability to learn from an online programme. However, assuming you are a newly minted paramedic that grossly approximates an entry level paramedic in the United States, I still believe experience will be your best bet.

I think it's great that you want to further your education. Do you have a link to the on-line program(s) that you're considering? Maybe someone here has taken one, and has first hand knowledge?

I haven't taken the UMBC CCEMT-P, so I can't comment on the specifics of that course, other than that 80 hours seems like a really short time to get even a cursory overview of a very complex area.

Ana, don't get your feelings hurt Babe...Honest.

You're going to find that one of the major values of the City is that answers come pretty straight, without all of the the, "You want to be a CC-P? You rock!" Which of course might make all of us feel better, but there's no real information in it.

Many times, perhaps most, you'll truly find the love in those that say, "What are you thinking? Walk me through this because there's a chance that you're about to step on your wee wee"...or...well, let's not consider the female equivelent as that's kind of grody.

You've made a really good start here, I'd hate for you to read the above as people calling you an idiot wannabe, 'cause that's just not what's happening. I know though, that when you're new, many times it's easy to read it that way.

Try and see the respect in the fact that some of the most important posters on the City felt that they didn't need to talk to you like you're a delicate child, that they believe you strong enough to particiapte with having things wrapped in velvet, then reread the comments and see if they have a different energy for you...

On my first day of basic class they asked everyone to stand up and explain their goals. I said, "I'm going to be a flight medic." All of the instructors looked at my giant, pale, 300# ass (none applies any more) and smiled, yet it was the smile that most reserve for mentally challenged children...and you know why? Because I was a friggin' idiot. But I learned, and I'm less of an idiot today, though not by much...

There's not a single thing wrong with your question...and you've been given some good advice, by good folks, and that's should make you feel awesome. Bottom line, in my sometimes not so humble opinion.

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.