Any advice on WIFI antenna?

DwayneEMTP

Hey!

I leave tomorrow for me new gig in PNG, and while speaking with my back to back there (The medic that works the oposite schedule from me) was told that at the main camp there is wifi, but in quarters there is a tiny little spot in the room that can recieve a really weak signal.

I was wondering if anyone has had any use for such a thing and what kind of luck you had with it? Home made or commercial.

On the oil spill I had a cell phone amplifier that was friggin' awesome! It took my phone from 0-1 bars to 5 strong bars...I was thinking that it seems that there should be something like that for wifi? Surely kids stealing wireless have a solution?

I've seen the Pringle can setups and such...I've just not left myself any time to experiment...

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Dwayne

I have a router that is hard lined into the main modem and repeats the signal. I dont know if there is one that recieves wireless and repeats. Since wireless is blocked by walls and stuff you might could run a cable and a router to high ground (up a coconut tree) for a better signal. You would need an extention for a power source as well.

Aha! Check this out. There seem to be a lot on the market. If you get one let me know how it works! http://www.wirelessnetworkproducts.com/hd26972.aspx

I missed the part about the pringle can models.

Edited by DFIB

Thanks for the idea DFIB, but these sites are run by oil companies...no way anyone is going to let me near their routers. That would be the simple solution, and a good one! But just ain't gonna happen...

A repeater is a good idea, though I'll have to see the layout before knowing how feasable it would be...

Yea, sometimes a clean line of sight will increase range as well. Maby you could talk them into setting their router next to a window or something.

Several (most?) commercial available routers can act as a simple hub for local computers. There even are simple ones just for this purpose. Go to any computer store with just more than apple computers and ask for it.

Advantage of a seperate box is that your laptop's wifi antenna is very restricted, especially if built in. There are external antennas for the laptop but they most probably won't reach the tiny spot in your accomodation. An external box may be placed almost anywhere, has a good antenna (choose the longest possible) and can get low signals better plus sending better over more distance. You will need a LAN cable too hook up to the hub.

If you have some money to spent, you can look for an outdoor receiver, but most probably won't find that in a simple computer store. Then the signal will be not disturbed by any wall, only you have to fit the cable somewhere through the window or elsewhere.

Some self built direction reflector out of aluminium foil (be sure to eat the pringle chips before!) may serve, but - as always in life - size matters and nothing beats long antennas. ;)

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks Mike, but those are all transmitters. Like I said, this is an Exxon site, so there is not a chance in hell that anyone but the rare IT person that will every lay eyes, much less hands, on the router.

I did end up ordering a USB antenna, and the difference at home seems significant. From a half dozen signals from my neighbors with one or two bars, to about 18 signals of 3-4 bars...so, I guess I'll see if that is good enough in a few days!

Thanks all...