What my "Project" is / general EMT question

Hi

Thanks to all of you who've welcomed me to this site with an open heart/mind. A few people wanted to know what it is I'm doing, and it's only fair to share with you all, since I'm learning from you.

At some point I used to want to be an EMT/EMT-Paramedic. I used to scour the web for articles, and sites, that could give one an insight into how one could accomplish this. I wanted to know the inner-workings of the job field, but none of the sites I came across (except the Bureau of Labor Statistics) could give me any real detail in starting up my career in the field. Whether you support the idea or not, a group of us are creating user-friendly EMT/Paramedic information highway website that hopes to assist in informing many potentials in how to start a career as an an EMT. The internet is becoming everyone's go-to tool, and what better way to learn such a thing than online?

The tricky part thus far has been the mere fact that the requirements for being an EMT can vary by state (please correct me if I'm wrong!)

So my basic question to those of you who can to answer is:

What are the basic/universal requirements of being an EMT?

I've gotten the a few, such as must be at least 18 years of age, clean criminal record (wasn't too sure about that one) high school diploma.. etc..

To your understanding, what are the basic requirements needed to become an EMT? Are there any unique requirements that exist, that one would not easily be thought of?

Thank you all,

Seth

p.s.

the website domain has been purchased: emtcareers.org

You won't see anything on there (obviously) but we're definitely working on it daily!

Edited by EMT_Journalist

In Texas the entry requirements are pretty simple but become more involved as the class advances.

To register:

Picture ID that proves address and citizenship (SS# nessesary to get background check when required)

High School Diploma/GED/or College transcript

Having at least 10th grade reading/comprehension skill is recommended.

AHA Healthcare provider or American Red Cross Professional Rescuer CPR CARDS

In order to begin clinicals and before having patient contact.

Drug screen 10 or 15 pannel depending on the school.

Complete shot records that include.

1. Complete Hepatitis B immunization series,

2. Tetanus Shot,

3. Chicken Pox vaccine

Prior to patient contact, students born on or after January 1957, must show acceptable evidence of:

1. Vaccination of two doses of measles-containing vaccine administered since January 1, 1968;

2. Two dose of rubella vaccine;

3. Two dose of mumps vaccine;

4. TB skin test. I positive presentation of a Neg. Chest X-ray is required.

5. National Criminal History

Different schools may have different requirements. This is my experience.

Wait.

So you're going to use this website, which already does a lot of what you're describing in its discussion forums, to solicit information to help you create your own website? That seems pretty shady. That's like going into successful business "A" and asking for advice on how to build a business to directly compete with successful business "A".

What does this project of yours have to do with being a journalist? How does it play into you wanting to know everything there is to know about EMS?

In Texas the entry requirements are pretty simple but become more involved as the class advances.

To register:

Picture ID that proves address and citizenship (SS# nessesary to get background check when required)

High School Diploma/GED/or College transcript

Having at least 10th grade reading/comprehension skill is recommended.

AHA Healthcare provider or American Red Cross Professional Rescuer CPR CARDS

In order to begin clinicals and before having patient contact.

Drug screen 10 or 15 pannel depending on the school.

Complete shot records that include.

1. Complete Hepatitis B immunization series,

2. Tetanus Shot,

3. Chicken Pox vaccine

Prior to patient contact, students born on or after January 1957, must show acceptable evidence of:

1. Vaccination of two doses of measles-containing vaccine administered since January 1, 1968;

2. Two dose of rubella vaccine;

3. Two dose of mumps vaccine;

4. TB skin test. I positive presentation of a Neg. Chest X-ray is required.

5. National Criminal History

Different schools may have different requirements. This is my experience.

Extremely informative, thank you. It's interesting to me how a lot of the requirements seem to vary not only by state, but by school/ program.

I will notate this, and give you credit where due.

Thanks DFIB!

Seth

Wait.

So you're going to use this website, which already does a lot of what you're describing in its discussion forums, to solicit information to help you create your own website? That seems pretty shady. That's like going into successful business "A" and asking for advice on how to build a business to directly compete with successful business "A".

What does this project of yours have to do with being a journalist? How does it play into you wanting to know everything there is to know about EMS?

You've taken something so simple, and good-willed, and turned it into something negative. I am a journalist. A part of my job requires me to constantly be learning, growing, and evolving so that my work can exceed the expectations of my readers.

If i were making some sort of profit from my site the yes that would be shady, but that is not the case.

have a better day

Seth

NYS has about the same requirements as TX...High school graduate/GED, SS# and picture ID. For the most part, the immunizations will be provided by the organization that you are going to be working with, whether its a paid/volunteer ambulance service or a fire dept that has an ambulance.

This the is the NYS website...http://www.health.ny.gov/nysdoh/ems/main.htm.

Because every state is different and then every county and town is different, NYS has basic protocols in place. The higher the level, the more protocols are added. NYS currently has 6 levels of EMT from the Certified First responder to CC-AEMT-P ( Critical Care PAramedic) Not all regions use all levels and protocols vary because medical directors want certain things done but not others.

You have undertaken a HUGE project. One that I doubt you will see the end of. EMS is constantly evolving and changing. Good luck.

I'm just asking questions. Just like journalists do. Except you don't seem to like when you're not the one asking the questions, eh? I think it's funny that journalists love to ask questions and push people to answer yet they don't like having the questions asked of them.

It still seems shady to me to use one resource to build competition to that same resource. But you're right about one thing. The information is already out there on the web. You're free to do the research yourself.

I'm just asking questions. Just like journalists do. Except you don't seem to like when you're not the one asking the questions, eh? I think it's funny that journalists love to ask questions and push people to answer yet they don't like having the questions asked of them.

It still seems shady to me to use one resource to build competition to that same resource. But you're right about one thing. The information is already out there on the web. You're free to do the research yourself.

I'm sorry if I've offended you.

Have a nice day

Check the national registry website. They have a map with each state. You click on the state and it takes you to that state's EMS site, with the requirements, etc.

Here's the link

https://www.nremt.or...ate_offices.asp

Wow, thank you! I'd been google-ing each site state by state. This helps.

Best,

Seth

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.