What got you into EMS?

15 years as a wilderness first aider, mostly working with the Boy Scouts and with trail crews in two National forests, showed me I liked this type of work. As I was nearing retiring from one job I took my NREMT-Basic course and have been working for the last six years on an ambulance

The money, fame, and women.

Actually, I started college going for a degree in international business and Spanish language. About halfway through that I got this crazy idea that now I wanted to be a doctor, don't ask me why, maybe I watched one too many episodes of Scrubs. So I happened to mention it to someone in one of my Spanish classes and she suggested I go and take an EMT course to get a taste of medicine before I dedicated that much time, energy and money into something I don't like.

I remember that after the first day of EMT class I almost decided to call it quits. I didn't think there was anyway I'd be able to learn all of that information or figure this stuff out, but I decided to come back for one more day of class. Then another, and another, and I got hooked.

I didn't grow up with any great interest in EMS and my only exposure to medicine was my mom, who'd worked as a CNA when's I was little (she'd been in nursing school, but had to drop out after me and my brother were born). So I was kind of a late bloomer, I took my first EMT course when I was 21, and the rest is history.

But srsly, the money, fame and women, yo, that's what I'm really here for. ;)

Edited by Bieber

3 years ago I didn't speak English! So...where else I would get a job where your actions are more important than what you say???

Hmmmmm ... I can think of a few ...

All kidding aside, What is your heart tongue?

Personally, I was involved in Boy Scouts back in the 1970's, then after getting basic first aid and liking "field" medicine, I enlisted in the Navy with a guarantee of Hospital Corpsman. A couple of duty stations later, I got my NREMT in the late 70's, started volunteering at a city fire station. Been volunteering since. After thirteen years in the Navy, leaving as an Advanced/Indepent Duty Corpsman, I took a break and went law enforcement for 20 years (dispatcher, administration, computer support and reserve officer).

After retirement, I went back to EMT-Basic and started medic school this past August. Proudly serving my local (rural) EMS/FD.

The money, fame, and women.

- - - - - -

But srsly, the money, fame and women, yo, that's what I'm really here for. ;)

How are you dealing with all that? Or lack of all that?

LOL

3 years ago I didn't speak English! So...where else I would get a job where your actions are more important than what you say???

I worked within New York City. Speaking other languages can be an advantage, as long as one is conversant in the country's language.

I also ask what your first language is, Ana, as mine, regrettably, will remain NYC dialect English, with just enough Spanish to ask, and understand the answer, ?Que Hora es? (What time is it?)

I am Brazilian! Brazilians speak Portuguese! I also learned Spanish and English here...talking to friends and at EMT school!

"que hora es?" may be a really important assessment question...if he/she answers : "Domingo"! Just intubate and transport...just sayin ;)

Oh my goodness DFIB! Your Portuguese is amazingly fluent! I feel defeated...

The extent of my Portuguese is Roberto Carlos and his "Um Milhao de Amigos"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.