The personal side of healthcare

MongoMedic

Welcome to the forums! And thank you so much for putting the idea out there that we need to approach our patients holistically... that addressing psychological and emotional needs are just as important as some of the physical needs we care for. I think sometimes we can lose sight of that by focusing on the "clinical puzzle"- yeah, that's important, but I've been utterly dumbfounded at what kind of information patients will tell you if you gain their trust and learn to ask questions in a way that empowers the patient and makes them feel like a part of their own care...

Also great points about staying in your lane... it's hard to process information and integrate it into what you're doing as you "level up" and I think a lot of people (myself included at times) make the mistake of equating "Oh, I recognize that new bit of info I recently learned! Hey, I think I got it!" with "I know EVERYTHING and I got EVERYTHING! I must be God!"

Welcome to the forum, and don't listen to Dwayne's whiny self-belittlement... the fact that he knows you (and didn't try to shoot your nuts off on your first post) is definitely a plus for many of us here. ;-)

Wendy

CO EMT-B

ADN-RN Student

"...I know EVERYTHING and I got EVERYTHING! I must be God!"...

This is so important. I used to make me batshit crazy in Afg, and I've also seen it on the street. But the only people that I've ever seen that truly believed this in themselves allowed themselves to do so because they failed to verify their treatments. It looks like X, this is the protocol for X, protocol delivered, so this patient is getting better and I'm a fucking rockstar!!

But that's the hell with verifying your treatments...sometimes you find that it looks like X, you have a protocol for X, you deliver the elements of the protocol, and things go to shit because in all of your wisdom you "Knew' it was X so forgot to rule out Y, which is truly the issue, and contraindicated on nearly every point in the X protocol.

I know...seems obvious right? But you know what I love about these threads is that a gazillion times I hear people say, "You should do this about that..." and I think, "Well, of course, that's obvious." But then I wonder, if I'd been asked first would I have gotten the answer so quickly and easily?

Thanks for participating everyone...And thanks for not assuming that I may know, or remember what often seems to be common knowledge.

Dwayne