Some People Never Learn - Paramedic in Trouble Again

romneyfor2012

http://www.outandabo...om/article/5160

Ok there is a twist this time.  This time the posts were made on his personal facebook page, last time it was departmental.  After a 2 month suspension, anger management classes, and public disgrace, this jerk still has not learned a thing, and probably needs to be fired, but I am a little leary about my work telling me what I can and can not post on my personal site (excluding remarks about my employer, naming my employer, showing pictures of stations or vehicles).  

I mean if I an HLPP worked at the same place, and she did something to really piss me off, can I not talk about it on facebook ?Where does protecting the company image line end and free speech line begin ?

Edited by romneyfor2012

You just can't cure stupid. It would be nice to have a stupid fixing pill but it doesn't exist so you just have to keep transporting these people.

disclaimer - I can't open the site because my public internet provider I'm using right now blocks this webpage.

Where does protecting the company image line end and free speech line begin ?

Your employer is free to impose limits on your speech outside of the workplace. This can apply to any part of life. By taking the job you're agreeing to the limitations imposed by the employer. Don't like the limitations? Find another job.

Free speech applies only as far as Congress can impose limits. It does not apply to employers who are free to regulate what their employees say as they see fit.

Sounds like this guy has earned himself either an early retirement (if the department is feeling generous) or a quick trip to the unemployment line.

CUT AND PASTED FROM ABOVE LINK

For the second time, Nashville paramedic Kevin Kennedy charged with inappropriate online conduct

Nashville Fire Department employee originally cited for homophobic Facebook posts

by Blake Boldt

Nov 10, 2011 | Email | Print | Share |

For the second time in three months, Nashville Fire Department paramedic Kevin Kennedy faces disciplinary action for making inappropriate comments on his Facebook page.

(Please see link for full article - admin)

Your employer is free to impose limits on your speech outside of the workplace. This can apply to any part of life. By taking the job you're agreeing to the limitations imposed by the employer. Don't like the limitations? Find another job.

Free speech applies only as far as Congress can impose limits. It does not apply to employers who are free to regulate what their employees say as they see fit.

Sounds like this guy has earned himself either an early retirement (if the department is feeling generous) or a quick trip to the unemployment line.

I'd have a hard time working for a company who says I cannot post this or post that on a personal page as long as it does not point to my company then I have an issue with them saying what I can and cannot post but you are right Mike.

I do know that I'm writing a book that is in it's first couple of chapters. I specifically have brought a 2nd laptop on my travels and do all my work on that laptop because my company can say "you wrote the book on the company laptop so we want the proceeds of the book" since I used their laptop. I don't know of any company that would do that but some will. I write the book on my personal laptop and I'm good.

But I'd be very leery of a company dictating what you can and cannot post on your private time especially when it does not involve work related issues. That is a company I would not work for for a million dollars, well maybe a million, I'd just get a nomme de Pleume.

I get that they can impose against this kind of stuff, but for instance, what about some of you who have used your real pic or disclosed where you work on here maybe in your profile or in past conversations. So then if you come in here and make generally disparaging remarks about homosexuals, minorities, or a political party, that has nothing to do with your job (like maybe in the "You might Be Ghetto" forum) while off-duty and in your home, your company has the right to fire you ?

Hey at least he's honest in his opinion no matter how imbecilic. And thank goodness he's consistent.

Not only on departmental pages but his own.

I get that they can impose against this kind of stuff, but for instance, what about some of you who have used your real pic or disclosed where you work on here maybe in your profile or in past conversations. So then if you come in here and make generally disparaging remarks about homosexuals, minorities, or a political party, that has nothing to do with your job (like maybe in the "You might Be Ghetto" forum) while off-duty and in your home, your company has the right to fire you ?

The can fire me all they want. I can as well fire them. But like I said, I would not work for a company that had such restrictive requirements.

What I post on my facebook page would bore the normal person to death, it's like the talking to a dining room table comment i made earlier, you would say that after reading some of my posts.

Just seems wrong to me, the first amendment was created to protect the speech NO ONE wants to hear, regardless of how embarassing it is.  I don't see how that church group is allowed to protest at veteran's funerals and yell obscenities, but I can not vent on my facebook page.

Edited by romneyfor2012

Just seems wrong to me, the first amendment was created to protect the speech NO ONE wants to hear, regardless of how embarassing it is. I don't see how that church group is allowed to protest at veteran's funerals and yell obscenities, but I can not vent on my facebook page.

The First Amendment was created to protect you from the government limiting what you can say. It has nothing to do with private entities like an employer.

The church group you mentioned is free to protest as they have been because the First Amendment works. You are free to vent on your Facebook page, or here, or on any public street corner as much as you like and the First Amendment will protect you, too. It will protect you from the government. We aren't talking about government. We're talking about employers.

Trying to compare government protected free speech and employer limited speech is an apples to oranges argument. I fully understand your frustration and your overall point. But the reality here is that you're comparing two different things.

If you really want to get down to it, there are plenty of restrictions on free speech despite the First Amendment. That, however, may be another discussion.

• Like 2

Just seems wrong to me, the first amendment was created to protect the speech NO ONE wants to hear, regardless of how embarassing it is. I don't see how that church group is allowed to protest at veteran's funerals and yell obscenities, but I can not vent on my facebook page.

That's just it, that entire church group that pickets, works for the church. they have no one to hold them accountable.

Let me ask you this- do you want to work with this guy? Would you find it extremely difficult to work with him if you knew of his extreme views on gays?

Would you want to work with an overtly racist medic or emt? One that puts that crap on their facebook page?

would you want to work with an openly gay person who bashes straights on their facebook page? Or the black person who open bashes whites on his page?

I honestly don't want to work with any of them thus I am sure is the reason why the department is taking this type of stand.

I don't support at all what he writes, I don't like it when someone posts something like he did. I openly tell people in their posts on facebook that they are crossing the line. If they continue, then I defriend them and send them a message why I defriended them. I have done this at least 10 times in the past year. Someone who I thought I knew then showed their true colors on their facebook or myspace page. It's just too difficult to try to navigate those waters. Gives me a headache and I have chronic headaches over the past month or so, so I just defriend them, one less headache.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.