WOW! Stem cells, pregnancy and heart damage...

Eydawn

This blew my mind. To think that a fetus donates stem cells to repair cardiac damage in a mother... study done in mice.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80beats/2011/11/21/helpful-mouse-fetuses-naturally-send-stem-cells-to-mom-to-fix-her-damaged-heart/

Tell me what y'all think!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I'm a big fan of Stem Cell Research. I agree with Herbie that it is definitely cutting edge. Only time will tell the diversity of diseases that Stem Cells can help with, but as a Medical Professional I'm excited to see the progress.

The neat thing with this paper, was they seemed to show that the fetal cells were able to integrate into the myocardium, and couple electrically without causing arrhythmias.

A problem with a lot of the research in this area, including a lot of the clinical trials with humans, is they haven't (to my knowledge) been able to show that the stem cells actually do this. There's a fair risk of the stem cells forming tumors, as they divide quite rapidly (de-differentiation to a stem cell-like state is part of tumorigenesis). It's also been shown in some studies that the benefit from stem cell treatments appears to be a result of signalling molecules secreted by the cells, rather than new functional cardiomyocytes forming. Then, when they have had limited success in introducing cells into the myocardium, there tends to be a risk that they form ectopic units.

Obviously the potential benefits to these sort of therapies are immense. It's a shame that so much of the research has been held back by a prohibition on federal funds being used for stem cell research in the US. And that, even now, pro-life groups are trying to pass laws that would prevent the use of any fetal-derived material in biomedical research.