college classes and EMTB

In my particular program, we're just now starting clinical rotations. We were given a "choice" of three ambulance companies (all private), and among those companies were 7 shifts, scattered along all 7 days of the week. The shifts start anywhere from 0400 through 1000, and run for 12 hours. We have to complete 2 ambulance rides (so 24hrs total). Then, we have one local hospital sponsoring our ER shifts, which run from 1500-2300, on either Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday. We only have to do one hospital weekend (so 16 hrs total). In my opinion, 40hrs of clinical rotation isn't nearly enough. As I said in the "third rider" thread, I know what we had the pharmacy tech and pharmacist students doing at the pharmacy, and it seems like people really didn't "hop in and do it" until well into the 2nd week.

Anyways, I'm not sure how other schools schedule their rotations, but it really seems like they were willing to work with us at my school. I was sure I would have to take time off work to complete my rotations, but it works out that I don't have to take off any time at all.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.

I am a big believer in students deserving to be treated well. They paid a lot of money to get into a program and come out on practicum, and part of my job should be to make sure that they're having a good time (while being tough when it's necessary and giving honest, constructive feedbacK). But I would react very badly to any student who didn't help clean up the mess they participated in making, or came in with an attitude like that.

(I do believe that the student should be elbow-deep in everything medical, and shouldn't be cleaning / restocking the truck if there's debriefing, or clinical teaching that can be done inside the hospital. But they should pitch in when they've got spare time.)

I know what you mean. The guys I mention had the cool embroidered shirts but didn't seem to get the reason they were there. I don’t particularly want to dump on them but I saw one student get a lecture about how if their attitude didn’t change they would have problems in EMS. The case in point was that the student did not have the proper EMS uniform and was not very well kept. When the preceptor made the observation the student kind of blew her off. This preceptor was one tough person, a RN and paramedic that really cared. The preceptor was on the verge of tears when the students’ “ I don’t care” attitude was apparent. I heard one nurse say about another student “that person is going to be the worst paramedic ever”. I don’t know about the worse … but pretty close.

All of this to exemplify that clinical are what the student makes of them. I think preceptors like to see students that are eager to learn and help with menial task in order to gain access to more information, skills and learning. So be self motivated. Ask questions. Ask if you can help. Find out if there is anything you can do, “can I empty that bed pan for you?” “Can I spike that bag?” “can I attach those leads for you?” I pestered the nursery nurses for about 10 hours to get access to the nursery and watch the pediatric nurses work. I didn’t get in but it wasn’t from lack of trying.

I'm half way through the EMT B academy as well but want to get in to a career in fire fighting. It seems impossible to find FD's hiring. Is it hard to find employment as an EMT also?

Have you completed the fire academy and have your firefighter certifications? Class B drivers license? NREMT-B?

Many fire departments require these things.

I'm half way through the EMT B academy as well but want to get in to a career in fire fighting. It seems impossible to find FD's hiring. Is it hard to find employment as an EMT also?

Where are you? The employment situation where you live may be very different to where some of the other posters live!

I took my EMT-B during my senior year of high school and had no problem. I was also working 30 hours a week at a grocery store. It depends on what you can handle and how motivated you are.

I am amazed how short some of the clinical times were for you guys! I had 48 hours on the ambulance(24 as 911 and 24 as transfer), 24 hours in the ER, and 4 hours with respiratory care. I think I benefited more from the respiratory care than any other department.

I am amazed how short some of the clinical times were for you guys! I had 48 hours on the ambulance(24 as 911 and 24 as transfer), 24 hours in the ER, and 4 hours with respiratory care.

No offense intended, but are you saying that 48 hours on the ambulance is a long-time when training as an EMT?