Fdny or ems job medical backround check discrimination?

Hello all i am new here

I was wondering what are the aspects of the backround checks and medical checks on future ems employees?

Several years ago i was hospitalized for personal issues in my late teens and collected disability

and i currently take a small dosage of sleeping medicine for sleep apnea and a adrenal gland(not life altering or effecting)

I am now currently in school and 1 month away from taking my state exam for the emt-B cert

I can do normal tasks and focus with no issues my past medical issues do not any longer effect my every day living.

I just do not want to be discriminated in the future if i try to get a job for 911/fdny or any other ems branches. due to me being in a psych years ago and and at once being on disability.

what are the fellow members thoughts on what i should do.

7 year clean driving record

no criminal history

• Like 1

I am not sure your medical records as a minor will show up, and I am not sure why they would ask that before interview. Usually, health questions are something you answer for your health insurance application after you are hired. With that being said, they do have to make sure you are fit enough to do the job, and will usually require a physical. If asked, I would just disclose any current medical problems to the Physician who is examining you.

• Like 1

I'm not sure about NY state but here in CA, AZ, and NV, to be hired, you have to pass a physical exam by a doc. Anything that would hinder your ability to drive or be considered an unsafe condition for driving would pose an issue. From the sound of your situation, that won't be an issue. Most important is your ability to show up to work when scheduled and be able to lift 200+ lbs. safely

• Like 1

Thanks for both replys i am fit ,i do not drink or do any drugs i have a healthy diet.

i go to the gym 4 days a week and train judo+muay thai.

passing the physical test would not be an issue for me.

I was just a bit concerned about my past medical reflecting on any job opportunities.

As perhaps the most vocal FDNY EMS Command person on this site (retired, for a year and 3 weeks, now), I don't know what to tell you. I've been a diagnosed Acute Sleep Apnea patient, using a C-PAP for years (treating with meds? New to my understanding). In disclosure, I was already a Member Of Service (MOS) prior to being diagnosed with the ASA. You might want to Google Sleep Apnea groups for further information on that aspect.

Understand that I was "Grandfathered" in to the FDNY, when the Mayor decided that the NYC Health and Hospitals Corporation couldn't handle us (the EMS), but wouldn't give us "3rd Service" status. A sore point, but I'll argue that in a different string to itself.

As I understand it, when one applies to the FDNY, for either EMT, Paramedic or Fire Fighter status, the physical training will be geared towards the applicant becoming a Fire Fighter. There will also be a "Psych" test.

While I cannot give any specific recommendation, I am aware that there are numerous agancies that can, and will, for a price, give you both written and physical test preparation. You can probably Google a few, but as with a bunch of "stuff" on the internet, Caviat Emptor.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I understand your fears amigo. Many, many people have things in their past that are less than ideal. There are many behavioral conditions that are frequent in the teen years that would not be considered relevant many years later. I would think that a clean criminal record, drug screen and a passed physical would be all they would ask for but that could differ from company to company.

The only other advice is only answering the questions they ask specifically. A employer will ask the questions they are interested in having answers to. If they don’t ask it is because they are not interested in knowing. If they ask give them a truthful, specific answer. Don’t hide anything or lie. Don’t volunteer information they don’t ask for. You should be fine.

• Like 1

I understand your fears amigo. Many, many people have things in their past that are less than ideal. There are many behavioral conditions that are frequent in the teen years that would not be considered relevant many years later.

I wish I could recall details, but I remember reading, 20+ years ago, where some city, not NYC by the way, fired an entire 100 personnel Police Academy class, as all admitted smoking Marijuana while still teenagers. The city then supposedly changed it5's policies re "teenage indiscretions".

(Hey, what happened to my "spellcheck?")

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.