Stretcher Patients in Waiting Rooms - HIPAA Violation?

If a patient is on a stretcher, is it a violation of HIPAA to 'park' that patient in a waiting room? Sometimes the line between fact and fiction can become blurred but I seem to remember being told that a stretcher patient was required to be moved beyond the waiting room, even if it was in a hall. Any truth to this and if so, what is the applicable reference? This question was bandied about the break room and it seemed everyone had a different answer.

• Like 1

Why would it be a HIPAA violation any more than the patients currently waiting in the waiting room?

On a side note, a hospital I used to volunteer at would use the code room for "triage plus" where patients would go in, get a physical exam done by a physician, get labs drawn, and then sent back out to the waiting room while waiting for the labs.

Yea in the metro area we dropped PTs in the waiting room as "triage appropriate" all the time.

As i understand EMTALA, that only has to do with IFT, maintaining level of care from one hospital to another. am i mistaken ?

Race

EMTALA is a law that guarantees a person emergency services regardless of thier ability to pay.

https://www.cms.gov/emtala/

Thanks NY I hadn't looked it up before but i know that the ER where i work always mentioned EMTALA violations when small surrounding hospitals would transfer someone in and not call in reports or send a "code Red" in with a BLS crew. Clearly not an appropriate level of care given the condition ... However i will now read and review the law so i know .

Race

So far with what i have read, i was way off concerning EMS. The only mention of EMS systems are hospital based but then it still hasn't mentioned much. But i will keep reading...

Race

The issue, I believe, is one of having the patient on a stretcher; and I believe it is specific to stretcher. Supposedly a person on a stretcher invites scrutiny from the public and it is this 'invasion of privacy' that would be at risk. Simply put, patients on stretchers are stared at.

when i dropped them in the waiting area they were taken off the cot. We did not wait with them. No HIPPA, No EMTALA .. their condition just did not warrant a cut ahead in line.

Race

*edit*

If they need to stay on the cot then they need to be in the ER not the waiting room/triage area... Just to clarify

Edited by RaceMedic
  • Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.