I am home

Cookie

On Tuesday of this week we pulled up stakes so to speak in the park and brought the camper/trailer home. However we cannot live in the house yet. We parked the camper in the back yard. Started moving the farm equipment back and getting ready for harvesting what few crops we have left. I am working in the house, cleaning one room at a time. We only had 3 feet of water in the basement and that was basic seep water, not flood water, however it's just as stinky and nasty as flood water. The basement has to be cleaned out yet. I cannot do it, but husband and brother in law and son will do that, harvest comes first in this part of the world.

We spent 128 days in a park campground, exactly 4 months and five days, but who's counting! We were flooded out by actions or non actions of the Corps of engineers, flooded out again by the railroad. The water had receeded out of town and things were drying up. The railroad started in fixing the railroad rails and bed that was damaged during the flood. They go in replace the washed out bed, replace damaged rails and go on. Only what they did was block the natural flow of water, in doing so backed water right back into town, as bad as the origional flood. The only people who can tell the railroad what to do is the federal government. It took telephone calls from two congressmen and one senator, a govenor and the county to get them to stop repairs and go back and put tubes in to set the water flow.

All in all I am home and glad to be here. I have tenative plans to return to the park next year if the corps don't get the levee repaired like they say they are going to do and if they release as much water as they did this year. I just cannot take 160,000 cubic feet a second flowing over the cornfields!