Shocking an alert patient - V tach

DFIB

It probably wasn't v-tach, but an aberrant wide or narrow SVT, although it is possible to be alert and in V-Tach, or have runs of V-Tach that last for several seconds/minutes. Did they not try to fix with medicine first ? I agree people should be sedated, there are many drugs that have short half-lives that could be used.

It was v tach. Kinda funny you would say it probably wasn't when you have no idea I mean being that you were not present. We all saw the rythm. She had been given a lot of drugs all morning and was just waking up from sedation.

• 1 month later...

Yes DFIB I've shocked (cardioverted) an alert patient that was in symptomatic V-tach. He was presenting with chest pain, diaphoresis, palpitations. He was fully alert and we pre-medicated with Versed or Valium (this was about 9 years ago in another system so I cant recall which med was in our protocol). After 1st shock at 100j, he converted to normal sinus and his symptoms subsided. As far as his response, we explained the procedure, expected pain, etc. He did jump and use profanity right after, but then he said he felt 100% better ! It sucks but it works I guess :mobile: