EMS Student from Southgate, MI

CPhT

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm a big fan of internet forums (some call me a nerd, and the rest are in denial), so I figured I'd try and check out something relevant to my newest scholarly pursuit. I'll be starting EMS training at Wayne County Community College next Tuesday. This isn't my first rodeo in the medical industry, as I've been a pharmacy technician for 2 years now. What difference does that make? Well... nothing. I'm hoping that my desire to learn and do my best helps translate from the CPhT world into the EMT world.

Any advice is appreciated, as well as job leads... hey, never to early to start begging, right?

Thanks,

Eric

Welcome bloke.

Hang around, ask questions. Its a good place. the advice here is honest (sometimes brutal) but fair. Its an excellent learning tool if your prepared to take on board what is said. There is a myriad of EMS people from all over the world, UK, Australia, Canada, a few from germany, USA, and theres more than ambo's. A couple of ER docs and nurses here too.

The combined knowldge here is worth waiting to see :D

Edited by BushyFromOz

Hey man, welcome.

I think it's cool as hell to have pharm tech..maybe you'll bring a different perspective?

Of course, we might not know that if you'd not been kind enough to mention it and put it in your profile...

:-) Yeah, ok...I give up on that..but it sounded funny in my head...

Dwayne

Hey man, welcome.

I think it's cool as hell to have pharm tech..maybe you'll bring a different perspective?

Of course, we might not know that if you'd not been kind enough to mention it and put it in your profile...

:-) Yeah, ok...I give up on that..but it sounded funny in my head...

Dwayne

Eh, I doubt it. My perspective of the medical world has been pretty shallow so far. The closest I've come to a 'life and death' situation is when Mrs Patient forgot to call in her refill of Premarin and ran out of pills. Even then, it's more of a disaster for her husband who has to deal with her cranky ass.

Nah, I'm here to learn mostly. One of the best pieces of advice I was given was to remember my "ups". Shut up and listen up. As far as I can tell, the class room will give me the knowledge I need for the basics, and the rest comes from learning from the "boots on the ground". I might interject my opinion from time to time, but I always fear coming across as a newbie, because I know things are WAY different. Anyways, thanks for the warm welcomes!

(PS, I changed my profile info :punk: )

... One of the best pieces of advice I was given was to remember my "ups". Shut up and listen up...

Yeah, not a big fan of that advice in general as it tends to limit participation. You can only go so far by observing, as there are normally very few context hooks involved in your learning until you actively participate.

I think a better plan is 'See one, do one, teach one.' The idea that being still, and being quiet is a good learning tool is pathologic all on it's own. We need to take a lesson from children, the most prolific learners in the world, at least until we train it out of them...

If you don't choose to try and teach here, as well as learn, you experience will be truly 'shallow'...but I can see from the threads that you've posted in that despite your comment, it's not your nature to be a wall flower.

Good to have you here man...

... (PS, I changed my profile info :punk: )

Nice! Thanks for doing that...

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.