Do you get paid to precept?

PCP

Within in our EMS system our preceptors get paid a "little" extra on the days that they have a student. Now as a student you get one day where you go out and ride with a crew and in the past it has been with a crew that has a preceptor working on car that day so that they can show them the ropes and the preceptor would get paid extra that day. Now on the ride along that day the student does not touch a patient or even use the equipment they are only there to observe.

Within our system we just received a "memo" stating that a student can be placed with all paramdics preceptor or not for their observation day. I personally don't have a big problem with that because I look at it as if this person is a new employee and is getting an orientation to the job which they are inasense. I know I can show them how to use the equipment and fill out a PCR ( patient care report ) among other things. The discussion is that why as non preceptors should we teach this students how to do the job and how about pt. confidentiuality, scene safety, among other things.

My question is to those of you who are preceptors within your organization do you feel that you should get paid that extra money even though the student is riding as an observer only

also what are your thoughts on a student riding for their first time out on car with a crew where neither of them have taken the preceptor training or might be fairly new to the system?

Do you as a preceptor get paid extra within your EMS system on the days that you precept?

I never got paid extra to precept either students or new employees. The topic came up at a staff meeting at one place I worked. Some argued that it wasn't in the job description to precept so we should get something extra. The boss handed out a copy of the job description and pointed out the line that read, "Other duties as assigned".

That was pretty much the end of the conversation.

In our email it stated pretty much the same thing paramedicmike. under scope of practice, job responsibilities and duties it states " we are to supervise observers on car and/ or related duties " Its just a sore subject with many of the employees as they feel that they should be paid extra to show an observer what goes on during a call or around the station while we sit and watch hockey waiting for that pager to tone!

I feel preceptors should get paid extra as they are putting themselves in a position to where they are responsible for this students safety and making sure the patient gets the best care.

I think this is something the union could/should be looking into. In the Vancouver Police, certified field trainers get paid an extra 10% while they are coaching new recruits. New recruits can only ride with a certified field trainer until they become certified municipal constables.

Where I worked, preceptors got $1 an hour extra all the time- regardless of whether they had a student or new employee with them that day. Only preceptors were allowed train new employees, but sometimes (and usually only at the request of that employee), student riders would get placed with non-preceptors. Those employees wouldn't get any extra compensation for that day, but then again it usually wasn't an issue because it was at the request of that employee.

If you have a union and an established work practice that preceptors get paid for a given function, I would imagine you have a pretty strong argument against forcing other employees to do that same work without the bonus. That kinda of setup motivates the employer to train new hires/students with non-preceptors to save money, which should pretty much piss everyone off. Get people together on it and bring the issue to your union or management.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.