Greetings from Cleveland

Gardenia

About two months ago I lost my fiance to an epileptic seizure. After all was said and done I found myself lost and disoriented in life's direction. After all I had just witnessed someone very dear to my heart die right in front of me. Needless to say I was the only one by his side to call for an ambulance to transport him to the hospital where he was finally declared deceased. The one thing I remember as they were hauling him into the back of the ambulance and me into the front was the look of sympathy the driver had given me as if he had been in my very same position at one point in his life. I've noticed since his passing that situations that would normally require a very high constitution to deal with do not seem to bother me in the slightest. I suppose when you feel as though you've stared death right in the face it takes a bit more than blood and the disturbing to upset you. So here I am now, a 24 year old female with a background in healthcare (still licensed as a CPht / certified pharmacy technician) with not much else to keep her going except the need and want to help others in times of need. I am attempting to apply to the EMS Academy (run by the Cleveland Clinic) and would appreciate any pointers or tips that would aid in directing me down this newly opened career path.

Greetings and Much Thanks,

Ash from Cleveland

Hey Ash, welcome to the City.

Though I've helped several family members through the dying process, I can't imagine having to watch any of them die unexpectedly while I watched. Tough gig girl...good on you for taking the steps to move forward and stay positive.

You make a point that is near and dear to my heart. The thing you remember most is the look from the driver. So many of our opportunities to help are mental and emotional instead or along with physical. I like it a lot that that is what spurred you to want to take EMS for a test drive.

It's hard to give you much advice only because I have no idea what a pharm tech cert requires. If it requires college level A&P then you're golden. There is much more that you can do, but certainly not much that you need to do to be a rock star in your class.

I Googled Biodh se Amhlaidh and seem to have found it to mean, "Let it be" or akin to "So be it." Is that right, or close? Either way I like it a lot...Any chance you can private message me links/info on it's origins?

Good to have you here Ash...Stay...study...participate. You will be amazed how it distinguishes you from your classmates.

Dwayne

Ash,

We;come to the forum. It is good to see you are considering studying EMS. It is a grat profession both exciting and compassionate.

Are you in Cleveland, Texas? My son is studying EMT near there and I could give some pointers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.