Rural versus Urban

Just Plain Ruff

This is something that most of us have probably thought about many times. It's an interesting question.

I have two posts. One is in the city and the other is about 1.5 hrs south in a very rural area. I run 911 at the rural station, but I stopped doing 911 in the city earlier this year. Except when the city has overflow. Then I jump in the unit and go. Moot point.

It's true that there are much less "BS" calls in the country. At least where I am. Being from the country, we would have been horribly embarrassed for calling 911 unesseccarily. Just the way we were raised.

Country people also tend to take themselves/each other to the hospital when they really, REALLY should give us time to get there. I had one about a month ago that came in as, "struck by lightning". On the way there, as I was mentally going over treatment for electrocution, we got disregarded. Pt was being taken POV. Admittedly, it was a let down for me, as I'll likely never get the chance to have that experience again. But I digress.

I can help you out, sir. The atmosphere here is much more relaxed, and I won't have any trouble getting statistics for my area.

2c4, in my area the top pathologies are probably the same, but difficulty breathing might beat out one of yours. That's just my experience talking.

I've got nine days before I pull another 48 at the rural post. I'll get the stats then. Good topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A FOIA request may help you get more accurate numbers than those supplied from the suppositions of a couple of friends. I don't doubt that these guys earned your trust. But if you're writing for publication you should probably have more solid information.

I'm guessing you probably already know that, though.

As for what drives the calls I think you need to look at what calls are being dispatched. That will probably give you, and us, a better idea of what drives the difference in volume. While I know you're looking for ideas other than population, that's probably going to be the biggest driver of them all. More population means a wider variety of people means people who are probably a little less accustomed to fending for themselves.

I like Bernhard's approach, too, in determining call volume as a percentage of a given population. Although, I think bringing the comparison down to calls per 10,000 people versus millions would probably work better in an area where population is measured by no more than the hundreds of thousands.

Sounds like an interesting project.

Someone inferred to what I know as the New England motto, which supports the posit that in the thin population areas, they think self sufficient:

Use it up, Wear it out. Make it do, or do without!

I think the actual geography has an effect on people's behavior. Greater distances make for longer response time. Also sometimes the ambulance can't find the house in areas where they still have PO Box addresses.

Most everyone has some form of transportation or someone who can give them a ride.

Unless it is really serious you can probably get to the hospital sooner by driving yourself.

Another important factor is EMS services diffusion and promotion. Since folks don't see ambulances that often they don't think to dial 911 in an emergency.

Cost is also a factor; why pay for an ambulance if you can drive yourself?

Also the odds of Joe lunch bucket the volunteer showing up first are pretty good and not necessarily what you want or need.

Edited by DFIB

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.