Advice on working as a civilian contractor

I am currently in the process of applying for an overseas position with Onsite OHS. I am wondering if anyone can give me any advice or opinions about working overseas as a civilian contractor. I have done some internet research and discovered casualty rates and such...I am wondering more about the personal side of it.

Those of you that have been there...

Is it worth it?

If you knew what you were getting yourself into would you do it again?

What is the hardest part about it?

What kind of work did you do while overseas and where were you at?

Also any information on Onsite OHS would be appreciated.

I have a friend at Camp Dwyer working with Onsite OHS and she is loving it. I am curious if others felt the same way.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

it all depends on where overseas the assignment is.

Some postings are very good and a great experience and others not so good..

Many times these contracts lead to some real shithole third world nations .

Others to places where you are not wanted and will be in for a really hard time.

My Brother in law just returned home in a box from his work as a contractor in Afghanistan.

Yeah Babe, as Island said, it's just such a big subject to cover in a posting. You'd be better off maybe to work out calling someone.

Schedules are a huge thing, my first was 4 months on 2 weeks off, my second was 10 weeks on 5 weeks off. The first place I worked it was nearly impossible for a woman to get in or, if she could, to do well only because there had been a couple of women that played the harassment card not long before. Not that anyone would treat them poorly on purpose, it's just no one wanted to be anywhere near them if they could help it as there is no defense against the sexual harassment charge.

I lived initially in a 50 man tent, then a Bhut, then a container (read 'Castle'.) The money varied tremendously, the treatment you received even more than the money. Unless you have previous Special Forces time I'm not hearing of any really good contracts over there. And if you do have Special Forces time the money is great, but the odds of getting dead follow you right up the financial ladder.

Of course, there is one player there that I can promise is good to his word, will treat you well and won't allow any of the sexual bullshit...but he has a long list of really qualified folks waiting for his nod...Is ak listening???

Good luck girl. If you're thinking of any particular contract I'd be more than happy to talk to you about it. But I've been gone a couple of years now, which means that I'm almost completely out of the loop except for what I hear from my friends...

Dwayne

Well thanks for the input...I do have a female friend who is working with the same company and is in Camp Dwyer. I'm not able to talk to her much but she says it's great...says she should have done it years ago...The contract is for one year with R&R about 6 months thru. I am still waiting to hear from the company I've submitted my app and resume and letters of reccomendation to. The fellow I talked to said I have a pretty good chance of being offered a contract as I have no criminal record at all...

I'm just on the fence as to wether it is a good idea or not...

I think the experience would be great, the people I'd get to meet would be interesting, it's a great opportunity to grow as a person, and the money sounds good too.

Well thanks for the input...I do have a female friend who is working with the same company and is in Camp Dwyer. I'm not able to talk to her much but she says it's great...says she should have done it years ago...The contract is for one year with R&R about 6 months thru. I am still waiting to hear from the company I've submitted my app and resume and letters of reccomendation to. The fellow I talked to said I have a pretty good chance of being offered a contract as I have no criminal record at all...

I'm just on the fence as to wether it is a good idea or not...

I think the experience would be great, the people I'd get to meet would be interesting, it's a great opportunity to grow as a person, and the money sounds good too.

I'm pretty confident that I'm familiar with the contract that you're referring to. The problem is that you get R&R after 4 months, but no one is allowed to take it before 6 months so, according to the company, "Most just take their R&R on site." Yeah, I wouldn't touch such a company with a 10ft pole. The contract makes it clear that they aren't looking for 'real' medics, but just a bunch of wankers that will do anything to make a few extra bucks.

But, then again, it may be a way to get your foot in the door to network. But if you have family, or anyone significant, understand what it will mean to be away, on this particular contract, for a full year at a time.

Dwayne

The first place I worked it was nearly impossible for a woman to get in or, if she could, to do well only because there had been a couple of women that played the harassment card not long before. Not that anyone would treat them poorly on purpose, it's just no one wanted to be anywhere near them if they could help it as there is no defense against the sexual harassment charge.

Saw plenty of that. Rare to see a female last a year because of it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.