Bridge my way from EMT-B to ?.....

Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone could give my insight as to what I can advance my career to. I know that the I can always become a Medic but I was wondering if there were any other options I can consider. Im 32 years old. I didn't finish college so I don't have a degree. For years I was doing office work just to make a paycheck...I decided to take an EMT course and get certified so that I could do something more rewarding and beneficial. I am currently working for a private ambulace company and I also volunteer in the community. I really enjoy what I do now. I've considerd becoming a paramedic, however, my understanding is that the pay difference isn't so much. Ive been told things like: Why become a Medic and bear more responsibility for little difference in salary? I, recently married and looking to have a kid soon. So, I guess, My main concerns are:

1) How much money can I really make as an EMT-B?

and

2) If I decided to bridge my way to another profession, how much schooling would be involved? Must consider tuition / time?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, you've provided us with all sorts of information about you except what we need to help you.

1) How much money can I really make as an EMT-B?

Depends on where you are. Location is a detail you've left missing from your post. In my area, medics make significantly more than do basics.

Consider, too, that jobs for basics, pretty much nation wide, are disposable. There are way more basics than jobs. Employers have no problem replacing basics who either cost them too much money due to longevity or make waves.

Income for an EMT-B job, in most cases, is most likely measured in short term amounts. If you're looking for long term sustainability you're not looking at much.

2) If I decided to bridge my way to another profession, how much schooling would be involved? Must consider tuition / time?

Something else you left out, which is important to answering your questions completely, is what other profession you're interested in pursuing.

That being said, however, there is no bridging. If you're looking to get into another profession you're going to have to do it from scratch. Even going to paramedic school isn't going to be a bridge program. Depending on where you are and what the local training programs are like, you're only going to be building upon your base knowledge. That isn't a bridge class.

The sad part of this is that EMT doesn't really set you up for anything. There are many strong arguments supporting the idea that an EMT-B isn't even a level of health care provider. Realistically, a 110-150 hour basic first aid course (which is essentially what EMT-B is) doesn't provide a real foundation for anything.

If you want to go to paramedic school, I suggest you go. Don't listen to what all the nay-sayers are telling you. If they're not medics themselves then they have no basis to make any kind of suggestion to you. If you want to go to school for something else, then go. There are many ways out there of covering education costs if that is a concern.

Thanks!

You're welcome. Hope this helps.

There are very few Basic EMT bridging options. You will be looking at a minimum of an associates degree for most any other profession. That would include two years of core courses and a year of prerequisites plus getting ahead of the competition for programme selection.

Pay as an EMT assuming you can get a job is typically very low.

Good luck,

chbare.

Paramedics do make a lot more money than an EMT-B; in NYS, that is. No easy way to anything. No degree; no biggie; many Universities/Colleges offer Adult Education Degree Programs for individuals over 25y/o without a Degree or with just an Associate's. Research for disciplines that my interest you and speak with family, friends, co-workers, supervisors, and school counselors. It's never too late.

If you want to become a Paramedic; then become one. Look into your nearby Colleges which may have an Associates in Paramedics. In College, you'll be expose to many things that may interest you; it may trigger an interest and push you to get your Bachelor's and even a Master's. You have to work another 34+ years. Education and experience moves you up the ladder. Carry ups and carry downs are not fun for the back of a 50 or 60 year old...

Remember that Degrees are earned for dedicated hard work; no easy way out... Good Luck...

Realistically, a 110-150 hour basic first aid course (which is essentially what EMT-B is) doesn't provide a real foundation for anything.

Great way to put it, Mike. It's hard to suck up, but it's the truth. My first year working an EMT job (at a water park, not even an ambulance company) I had my stethoscope draped around my neck everywhere I went. Then one day my neighbor (an emo high school girl who loves Marilyn Manson a bit too much) informed me that she got her EMT-B cert from some high school program. I hung my head a little lower that day...

It's a basic supply/demand issue. There are many people with EMT-B certs (apparently, high schools are crapping a bunch of them out now), and not many jobs for them. In my area (SoCal), the good ones are making around $15 an hour.

If you want to become a medic, then become a medic. Set your mind to it and do it. Just do what you got to do, and don't let anyone stop you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.