I really need accurate opinions on this...

mady

I just graduated high school, and I'm registering for fall classes for college. BUT, I'm stuck. My ultimate goal is to become a Flight Nurse. I just don't know what route to take to get there. I've read multiple different things saying that it is a lot easier for RNs to get into the field than it is for Paramedics. I just didn't know if I could get in any easier if I got my Associate's in Nursing, then went to school for EMT, then got my Bachelor's in Nursing? Or go for EMT then Bachelor's? Or just get my RN and forget the EMT? I'm just so confused on what to do... PLEASE HELP. It's greatly apperciated!

• Like 1

It depends where you are. The requirements vary widely from state to state on who is allowed to ride on helicopters. Some states just require an EMT-P, while other states (like here in CT) require an RN or RT. Figure out where you want to work first, find out what kind of training they want, and then start developing a plan.

**Also general advice-- make sure you get some time working with patients before you commit yourself to anything. EMS (even flight EMS) is oftentimes not what people think it is. You are VERY young yet. Your best bet honestly is probably to just go to college and get a bachelors degree- then after that if you still want to ride helicopters then fine tune from there out. Realize now that you will probably change your mind 10 times over the next 4 years, so concentrate on keeping doors open.

Edited by fiznat
  • Like 1

It depends where you are. The requirements vary widely from state to state on who is allowed to ride on helicopters. Some states just require an EMT-P, while other states (like here in CT) require an RN or RT. Figure out where you want to work first, find out what kind of training they want, and then start developing a plan.

**Also general advice-- make sure you get some time working with patients before you commit yourself to anything. EMS (even flight EMS) is oftentimes not what people think it is. You are VERY young yet. Your best bet honestly is probably to just go to college and get a bachelors degree- then after that if you still want to ride helicopters then fine tune from there out. Realize now that you will probably change your mind 10 times over the next 4 years, so concentrate on keeping doors open.

Yeah, I guess I never thought about there being different requirements with different hospitals. And I completely agree. Right now I'm an STNA, bottom of the food chain I guess. But I really am set on being in the helicopter. Just trying to figure out the quickest way to get up there. I was kind of figuring if I went the EMS route instead of RN then I could really get the feel of the trauma, fast paced and unexpected, then it would be easier to decide if thats really what I wanted to do. I really apperciate your input. It has helped. Thank you!

...Just trying to figure out the quickest way to get up there. I was kind of figuring if I went the EMS route instead of RN then I could really get the feel of the trauma, fast paced and unexpected, then it would be easier to decide if thats really what I wanted to do. I really apperciate your input. It has helped. Thank you!

First of all, welcome to the City! What a really, really good first post. You're questions are very intelligent an appropriate.

Second, forget about the fastest way, as there is no fast way to getting with a reputable flight service. Now, there is Dirtbag EMS Flights that will take anyone, like there are hospitals and ambulance services that will as well. But you have already shown that you are intelligent and motivated so I can't imagine that donning a bottom of the food chain flight suit is really your ultimate goal. I was offered a flight job from one of those services, but I've a few friends that are, or were medics with very reputable, progressive flight services and it made me sick to my stomach to think of telling them where I worked..so I turned it down.

Go the best route, as ultimately that record will prove to be your shortest route to the good flight services.

For lots of good trauma your best bet is ER nurse. As medics/basics we get to see the trauma that we see and deliver to the hospital, the nurses get to see them all. Plus you'll spend your time around people much better educated than most in EMS. That's not a slam to EMS, EMS it is what it is, but if you want to learn to be sharp and to be able to think above your certifications, then hanging out with seasoned nurses and doctors makes way more sense than with a medic or a basic, right?

Other than that Fiz's advice is super important. You should heed it.

Man...really good first post..I hope you hang around and participate.

Dwayne

Flight Nurse is a great goal. Since your set to attend College; continue that route and get your Prereqs for Nursing. Get you're ASN since you've already mentioned the Associates. With an ASN, you're still a RN. Then once you become a RN; apply, apply, and apply. Jobs are not that easy to get; so while in Nursing School, make sure you do well on your clinicals (Nurse Mgrs do see what students are doing on their Unit. Preceptors are RNs and may put in a good word). Take the New Grad Nursing Program. You can work as a Graduated Nurse while you what for the NCLEX. Take tutorial NCLEX courses (Regardless of when that computer shuts off, you won't know if you've passed); be prepared, it's a tough exam.

As for a CCRN/Flight Nurse; you'll need to have worked in a Critical Care setting. The CCRN is a additional test/credentialing. Since, jobs are not abundant, you can't be choosy neither. The basic Nursing Program doesn't prepare you to work in a Critical Care setting. Every Hospital which hires RNs to work on these Intensive/Critical Care Units, go through an In-house Critical Care Course (Usually 3months long).

If you want to become an EMT; you can take it during your Summer Break. Google for the nearest course (It maybe free, NYS has Programs that offer free EMT Course). You can always do the Paramedic later. However, the Paramedic is intense (Meaning you'll have no time for much of anything else). If your College offers both then take all the Prereqs; they're usually very similar. Jobs are not abundant neither. The 1 year you will have invested to become a Paramedic, will be so worth it.

It is difficult to juggle working as a RN and going to school to be a Paramedic than it is to be a Paramedic and going to school to be a RN. Reason is that they have Adult Continuing Education (Excelsior College) which offers the ASN/BSN for Experienced Allied Health Professionals. Clinicals (Rotations) are waived because of your life experience. The Paramedic can take the CCEMTP (The Prereqs are: an EMT-P, Ltr of Rec, & Proof of Employment), very similar to the CCRN. The two are very intense (Meaning, there is a lot of studying and testing involved) Programs. With the CCEMTP, you're a Flight Medic.

It is really up to you. I hope I've provided some information to assist you in your decision making. Just remember, you have to work until 67, you can always go back to school to get another Degree but get your Degree now. It is offered for Paramedics and RN; the easy way out is Certificate with no Degree. you have to think about your future. If you want to move up the ladder into Management, a Degree will almost be required...

Just to give you my history (It may motivate you). I'm 35 y/o. I dropped out of HS. Got my GED in 95. Became a NYS EMT in 95. Worked in Private & Volunteer Ambulances. Became a NYS EMT-P in 98. Worked in NYC Hospital Based EMSs. Became an Instructor in 02. Became an EMS Mgr at NYC Hospital Based EMS in 06. Then I became a Mgr at a Private Ambulance in 08. Received my AAS in 08. Receiving my ASN in 12. Will go for my BS in the Fall of 12. At my pace, I will get my BPS when I'm 40y/o. I will still have to work another 27 years. So, it's never too late. I will pursue a Graduate Degree and maybe a Doctorate. My goal is to get my MS by the time I'm 50...

Good luck to you....

First of all, welcome to the City! What a really, really good first post. You're questions are very intelligent an appropriate.

Second, forget about the fastest way, as there is no fast way to getting with a reputable flight service. Now, there is Dirtbag EMS Flights that will take anyone, like there are hospitals and ambulance services that will as well. But you have already shown that you are intelligent and motivated so I can't imagine that donning a bottom of the food chain flight suit is really your ultimate goal. I was offered a flight job from one of those services, but I've a few friends that are, or were medics with very reputable, progressive flight services and it made me sick to my stomach to think of telling them where I worked..so I turned it down.

Go the best route, as ultimately that record will prove to be your shortest route to the good flight services.

For lots of good trauma your best bet is ER nurse. As medics/basics we get to see the trauma that we see and deliver to the hospital, the nurses get to see them all. Plus you'll spend your time around people much better educated than most in EMS. That's not a slam to EMS, EMS it is what it is, but if you want to learn to be sharp and to be able to think above your certifications, then hanging out with seasoned nurses and doctors makes way more sense than with a medic or a basic, right?

Other than that Fiz's advice is super important. You should heed it.

Man...really good first post..I hope you hang around and participate.

Dwayne

Thanks Dwayne!

Well first, of course my ultimate goal does not equal to the "Dirtbag EMS Flights", as you said, but wouldn't those educate me more on my ultimate goal? As of right now, I am still trying to figure out the best route. I think I really may go for my RN instead of EMS. I really appericiate your advice!

Flight Nurse is a great goal. Since your set to attend College; continue that route and get your Prereqs for Nursing. Get you're ASN since you've already mentioned the Associates. With an ASN, you're still a RN. Then once you become a RN; apply, apply, and apply. Jobs are not that easy to get; so while in Nursing School, make sure you do well on your clinicals (Nurse Mgrs do see what students are doing on their Unit. Preceptors are RNs and may put in a good word). Take the New Grad Nursing Program. You can work as a Graduated Nurse while you what for the NCLEX. Take tutorial NCLEX courses (Regardless of when that computer shuts off, you won't know if you've passed); be prepared, it's a tough exam.

As for a CCRN/Flight Nurse; you'll need to have worked in a Critical Care setting. The CCRN is a additional test/credentialing. Since, jobs are not abundant, you can't be choosy neither. The basic Nursing Program doesn't prepare you to work in a Critical Care setting. Every Hospital which hires RNs to work on these Intensive/Critical Care Units, go through an In-house Critical Care Course (Usually 3months long).

If you want to become an EMT; you can take it during your Summer Break. Google for the nearest course (It maybe free, NYS has Programs that offer free EMT Course). You can always do the Paramedic later. However, the Paramedic is intense (Meaning you'll have no time for much of anything else). If your College offers both then take all the Prereqs; they're usually very similar. Jobs are not abundant neither. The 1 year you will have invested to become a Paramedic, will be so worth it.

It is difficult to juggle working as a RN and going to school to be a Paramedic than it is to be a Paramedic and going to school to be a RN. Reason is that they have Adult Continuing Education (Excelsior College) which offers the ASN/BSN for Experienced Allied Health Professionals. Clinicals (Rotations) are waived because of your life experience. The Paramedic can take the CCEMTP (The Prereqs are: an EMT-P, Ltr of Rec, & Proof of Employment), very similar to the CCRN. The two are very intense (Meaning, there is a lot of studying and testing involved) Programs. With the CCEMTP, you're a Flight Medic.

It is really up to you. I hope I've provided some information to assist you in your decision making. Just remember, you have to work until 67, you can always go back to school to get another Degree but get your Degree now. It is offered for Paramedics and RN; the easy way out is Certificate with no Degree. you have to think about your future. If you want to move up the ladder into Management, a Degree will almost be required...

Just to give you my history (It may motivate you). I'm 35 y/o. I dropped out of HS. Got my GED in 95. Became a NYS EMT in 95. Worked in Private & Volunteer Ambulances. Became a NYS EMT-P in 98. Worked in NYC Hospital Based EMSs. Became an Instructor in 02. Became an EMS Mgr at NYC Hospital Based EMS in 06. Then I became a Mgr at a Private Ambulance in 08. Received my AAS in 08. Receiving my ASN in 12. Will go for my BS in the Fall of 12. At my pace, I will get my BPS when I'm 40y/o. I will still have to work another 27 years. So, it's never too late. I will pursue a Graduate Degree and maybe a Doctorate. My goal is to get my MS by the time I'm 50...

Good luck to you....

First off, I'd like to thank you for your time!

I have never heard of the NCLEX exam. What exactly is that?

Now, would it be easier to go ahead and just work toward being a Flight Medic to start off, then as a Flight Nurse?

I am definitly set on getting a Degree. Never once has it crossed my mind to try and get into this with just Certificates. I figured I wouldn't get very far with just Certificates.

You have motivated me! I really appericate it, thank you so much. I know its never too late, I just want to get my career in goal asap. Being an 18 year old single mom to a 18 month old its hard to take my time. I just want to get through school and become a Flight Nurse in good time.

As everyone else has said, there really is no quick way to get where you want to be. It is going to take time and effort, but you sound like you are determined. One thing I would like to add in addition to the excellent responses you have received already is just to add the fact that depending on where you are, RN school may take a while to get into. I am in California and have been on the waiting list for RN school for almost 2 years. That's how I ended up in EMS. Becoming an RN was what I had my heart set on since I was 5. I knew that that was where I wanted to go, so I took a full load every semester in college right out of high school and finished all of my RN pre requisites in 3 semesters and started applying to RN schools all over the state. Realizing that RN school was going to be years away (we have a 3-5 year waiting list here for most programs, CSU, UC, and JCs), I decided to go get my EMT and am now starting paramedic school.

So, basically the point I am trying to make is, it's great to have your goal in mind already but don't limit yourself to just one program or career route. I would highly recommend heading down the RN route if flight nursing is where you eventually want to end up, but keep your options open. If you finish your RN pre requisites and are waitlisted, you can always get your EMT cert. This will at least allow you to gain some experience in the medical field and working with patients. As an EMT (at lest in CA) you can work in the ER as a Tech if you get your phlebotomy cert and take/pass and ECG course, so that will open even more doors for you. Will allow you to apply to work on an ambulance as well as in the ER so you will have the opportunity to have the best of both worlds and give yourself an insight as to what EMS is about as well as what working in the hospital is like and allow you to see which environment fits you best....just my two cents based on personal experience with a similar dilema. Hope my rambling helped.

As everyone else has said, there really is no quick way to get where you want to be. It is going to take time and effort, but you sound like you are determined. One thing I would like to add in addition to the excellent responses you have received already is just to add the fact that depending on where you are, RN school may take a while to get into. I am in California and have been on the waiting list for RN school for almost 2 years. That's how I ended up in EMS. Becoming an RN was what I had my heart set on since I was 5. I knew that that was where I wanted to go, so I took a full load every semester in college right out of high school and finished all of my RN pre requisites in 3 semesters and started applying to RN schools all over the state. Realizing that RN school was going to be years away (we have a 3-5 year waiting list here for most programs, CSU, UC, and JCs), I decided to go get my EMT and am now starting paramedic school.

So, basically the point I am trying to make is, it's great to have your goal in mind already but don't limit yourself to just one program or career route. I would highly recommend heading down the RN route if flight nursing is where you eventually want to end up, but keep your options open. If you finish your RN pre requisites and are waitlisted, you can always get your EMT cert. This will at least allow you to gain some experience in the medical field and working with patients. As an EMT (at lest in CA) you can work in the ER as a Tech if you get your phlebotomy cert and take/pass and ECG course, so that will open even more doors for you. Will allow you to apply to work on an ambulance as well as in the ER so you will have the opportunity to have the best of both worlds and give yourself an insight as to what EMS is about as well as what working in the hospital is like and allow you to see which environment fits you best....just my two cents based on personal experience with a similar dilema. Hope my rambling helped.

One thing I am glad I did was I attended Greentree Health Science Academy, its in Ohio, and its pretty much just a vocational school with the Warren County Career Center. And when I entered the program I was accepted into Sinclair Community College and my Jr. and Sr. year of highschool was my 2 years on the waitlist. So fortunatly I don't have a waiting list to get my Associates. Now when I transfer to a 4 year college, that may be a different story.

I think now after reading all the great feedback I have gotten, I am going to go the RN route. It seems to be the best for my career goal. And then maybe think of taking some EMS classes just to further my education. Can't ever be too educated when saving lives!

This got a little more wordy than I planned. Hope it all helps.

NCLEX is the national nursing boards. To be licensed as a RN one needs to pass this exam upon successful completion of nursing school.

It would not be easier to start working as a flight medic before moving on to flight nurse as the requirements for each job are different. Also, just because one has been a flight medic doesn't mean you can just move into a flight nurse job once you earn a nursing license. That will not happen. Pick one and pursue that track.

Everyone and their brother wants to be a flight nurse/paramedic. The competition you will face for one of these jobs will be tremendous. The better your education and work experience the better chance you will have of standing out among your co-applicants. Unfortunately, they will all have stellar education and work experience, too. While a lofty goal, you need to be ready for the chance that you may not, for whatever reason, reach that goal. Just wanted to throw that out there for your consideration.

I have worked for an air medical service for several years as a flight medic. For our flight nurses, we require a minimum educational level of a BSN. (With that in mind, we have three nurse practitioners on staff with two more currently in NP school and a third starting next year. These are the type of people you're going to be competing against.) Along with your BSN you will need a minimum of five years of ICU experience. Most of our nurses had seven to ten years of solid ICU experience before being hired. There is also a laundry list of additional certifications (CCRN, CEN, CFRN etc...) that are mandatory either as a condition of hire or within 6-12 months of hire.

Because so many people want to fly, and so many applications are received *if* a position comes open, if an applicant doesn't have at *least* the qualifications I just briefly outlined his/her application gets shredded without a second glance. I say *if* a position comes open because any service worth flying for will have very low turnover and very high longevity of staff. If staff turns over quickly that should serve as a warning flag to you and you should not want to work there.

All of this being said, you should also know that working in an air medical environment is not as glamorous as you think. In the summer time it is a hot, dirty, hard job. In the winter it is a cold, dirty, hard job. The dangers that air medical crews face require an attention to detail that most ground or hospital providers just don't have. Customer service skills and tact are just as important as knowledge and education. I understand wanting to fly because you think it's cool. I can guarantee you that it is nothing like what you see on TV. It is not what you think it is, either.

If I could pick flight medic or flight nurse as the job to pursue I'd have to pick flight nurse. The requirements are tougher. The educational demand is tougher. The responsibilities are greater. The opportunities are greater. In line with all of that, the pay is greater.

You are 10-15 years away from being in a position to be considered for one of these jobs. In the mean time, focus on your education. Real, solid, university level education will serve as the best foundation for you. Then focus on quality, high end job experience while, at the same time, focusing on continuing education (preferably at the university level). Be polite to everyone you meet. You never know what connections will work for you in the future. Do not burn any bridges no matter how tempting it may be. Most people who get hired for these jobs get hired because of who they know in addition to what they know. I know several people who were not hired because of poor interpersonal skills even though they were solid providers.

Good luck.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.