Totally biffed my interview with the Volly Services

MetalMedic

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.

I did explain that I didn't want to leave the volly service after I found a paid gig and made that clear. I let him know that I liked the opportunities they had there, such as teaching and the chance to be an instructor. I wanted to have some experience under my belt under the best of circumstances.

He just seemed irritated that I told him that I was seeking paid employment as well (even though he was fully aware I have no job at all right now). So we'll see. Not feeling as pissed at myself this morning about it. It has great opportunities, but I also found some places that are hiring for paid gigs. So I'm not going to throw all my eggs in one basket.

-MetalMedic

But the thing is that you made your intentions clear as wanting to go on to bigger and better things than a lil ole vollie squad they are running. My spidey sense says that no matter what you tell the guy now after you've already said your aspirations which go way beyond that of this volunteer service has effectively killed any such interest from Chief "kill your ambition" Charley.

My advice is to make one more attempt to offer your services and then move on. In the end, it will be their loss but I for one would not want to be involved in a organization that would want to pidgenhole me into the situation that it seems like they tried to do to you.

I'll bet that you could find at least a couple of other vollie agencies that would be happy to have you as well as be happy to let you spread your wings and fly.

• Like 1

Most who know me from EMT City, know I started ambulance/EMS work in 1973, on the Peninsula Volunteer Ambulance Corps (Queens County, NY), and while still with them, eventually would be with 5 Private (proprietary Inter-Facility Transfer, non 9-1-1) companies, the New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation EMS, and then after "the merger", the FDNY EMS Command, all the time while continuing with the VAC until the squad went under, in 1996. Even after PVAC, went under, I continued, and am currently continuing, as an individual member of the New York State Volunteer Ambulance and Rescue Association's District 4 (New York City region).

If you can reschedule an interview, advise them if you feel you can balance both being one of their volunteers, and working for a "paid" service. Also advise them that you know that being a flight medic is a distant dream, but any and all experience you'll get at the "vollies" will help in, say, 10 years, when you'll try to become one.

Now I go negative: If you don't feel you can make that balance, don't set up the new interview. It would waste both yours and the interviewer's time.

Whichever way you want it to go, I do, however, wish you good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update:

I didn't biff it with the Volly service. In fact I get to get up early tomorrow and go and get fitted for boots and pants. LOL.

The good news is that they work closely with the paid services, which is cool. Even if I get a paid job I don't plan on dropping the Volly Service, especially after/while doing paramedic classes. The volly service is only a BLS crew, so it'll be a great way to keep up with my BLS skills. They also offer all kinds of training and CE and what not. I'm really looking forward to getting actively involved with the service.

With that being said, going to spend the next 6 months really honing in on my BLS skills and then I'll hit the paramedic classes/trying to get a paid gig, I feel that I've lost so much just waiting to get onto a crew, but I should start riding in a week or so....

Any questions?

-MetalMedic