EMT-B to EMT-P

I just talked to the staff at the training center and they told me that when I finish my EMT-B this Fall, that I do not have to take EMT-I and just start my paramedic class. I wanted to get some thoughts if this was a good idea or not. Thanks in advance for the replies.

Either way. You want to work as an EMT before taking the Paramedic or jump right into the Paramedic with no experience.

Most will tell you to wait. I think you should work for a year or two; then take the Paramedic.

http://everydayemstips.com/EverydayEMSTipsEdition1.pdf

There's so much you have not accomplished or experienced. The Paramedic is not the next step from EMT; it's not even a few steps, it's more like many floors apart. It would be like saying the MD is just a step from Paramedic. Well it's not. The requirements for EMT is very small in comparison to the Paramedic. Not to burst your bubble but the way you're going at things; it seems like you think it's a walk in the park. Good luck.

I'll take the opposite track. You want to be a paramedic? Don't wait. Just go to paramedic school.<br />

Just out of curiosity, is this your only source for research?

I agree. Dont waste your time getting your I, just go for medic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I worked as a basic for about 2 years before jumpin to paramedic....

In my opinion it is possible to skip the Intermediate level but in my personal experience it was difficult. There are so many skills you could do as an intermediate that you dont do as a basic. It was hard for me to go from not doing much at all to suddenly have this whole new skills set. If you work as an Intermediate you can get more efficient at IV sticks at the very least.

So it is possible but be ready to work to get to that level.

I'll take the opposite track. You want to be a paramedic? Don't wait. Just go to paramedic school.

Exactly. The only "steps" between EMT and Paramedic should be the college level classes that go along with it. You shouldn't even take EMT-B without doing those first, for that matter. Those classes are the only real way to "get ahead." All this other stuff you keep posting about is pointless, and often counterproductive. You seem to be under the common mistaken belief that medicine is just a book full of first aid skills that can be self taught online, It is not.

If you really want to do this the "best" way, as you claim, then do this:

1. Do not enrol in EMT school yet.

2. Purchase and complete a Medical Terminology self-study textbook.

3. Enrol in college and spend the summer completing:

Anatomy & Physiology I & II

Psychology I

Sociology I

4. Enrol in and complete EMT school.

5. Get an EMS job, if you can. But good luck because the EMT schools get rich producing many times more EMTs than the market will bear.

6. Complete these college courses:

College Algebra I, or next level up if you already have it.

Microbiology

English Composition I

Speech Communications

7. Enrol in and complete a college degreed paramedic programme, as well as any other prerequisites they require for graduation.

8. Welcome to minimum wage.

If you don't really want the "best" way, then save the rest of your questions. Nobody here is anxious to encourage more half-arse, low motivation slugs into our profession.

Good luck!

I have completed Physchology I, Sociology I, Math 224, English comp and biology classes already. I have a 4.0 GPA. I thought this forum was for questions and I posted under training questions and that is what exactly I am doing is asking questions.

Exactly. The only "steps" between EMT and Paramedic should be the college level classes that go along with it. You shouldn't even take EMT-B without doing those first, for that matter. Those classes are the only real way to "get ahead." All this other stuff you keep posting about is pointless, and often counterproductive. You seem to be under the common mistaken belief that medicine is just a book full of first aid skills that can be self taught online, It is not.

If you really want to do this the "best" way, as you claim, then do this:

1. Do not enrol in EMT school yet.

2. Purchase and complete a Medical Terminology self-study textbook.

3. Enrol in college and spend the summer completing:

Anatomy & Physiology I & II

Psychology I

Sociology I

4. Enrol in and complete EMT school.

5. Get an EMS job, if you can. But good luck because the EMT schools get rich producing many times more EMTs than the market will bear.

6. Complete these college courses:

College Algebra I, or next level up if you already have it.

Microbiology

English Composition I

Speech Communications

7. Enrol in and complete a college degreed paramedic programme, as well as any other prerequisites they require for graduation.

8. Welcome to minimum wage.

If you don't really want the "best" way, then save the rest of your questions. Nobody here is anxious to encourage more half-arse, low motivation slugs into our profession.

Good luck!

Before the NYC EMS/FDNY merger, EMS insisted all their Paramedic candidates in the department must serve, "in house" as EMTs for at least a year, before they'd be accepted into the department's Paramedic program, including folks who already had their Paramedic certifications from other training agencies.

It kind of can be summed up with an old phrase, "There's a right way, a wrong way, and the ARMY way"

I have completed Physchology I, Sociology I, Math 224, English comp and biology classes already. I have a 4.0 GPA. I thought this forum was for questions and I posted under training questions and that is what exactly I am doing is asking questions.

I believe he gave you an answer. What answer were you expecting?

I believe he gave you an answer. What answer were you expecting?

Exactly. Since you are already doing exactly what I advised, I would expect you to be encouraged, not offended. :unsure: