my first it's a women... no its a man

emtcutie

To address your points:

1) What do you think you could've done better? What have you learned out of all of this?

2) This ties into number 1. Who's supposed to know better in a case like this? Should something have happened who's documentation would've been pulled? Who would've been questioned regarding a negative patient outcome? (Hint: It would've been you.)

3) Why aren't you going to question him? Are you there to learn or not? How do you expect to learn if you're not asking questions? I've refused to sign off on students and new hires I've precepted because they haven't asked any questions.

4) You say the medic in question is a great medic. What are you using as a benchmark? Everything you've outlined in this discussion regarding his behaviour shows someone who's either lazy or not interested in doing the less glamorous work required of the job.

Mind you, I'm not posting any of this as an attempt to slam you on anything. I'm trying to make/help you think about this particular call.

With regards to this being a funny call because of not noticing the transgender status of the patient in question, there is no attempt to get into a debate over the behaviour of the patient. I'm just trying to understand why you found it funny. We have to take care of everyone we encounter regardless of their status or how they're dressed. If nothing else it would've been worth a note in the chart regarding how the patient presented. But for the life of me I can't find anything funny about not noticing the fact that the patient was transgender.

To address your points:

1) What do you think you could've done better? What have you learned out of all of this?

2) This ties into number 1. Who's supposed to know better in a case like this? Should something have happened who's documentation would've been pulled? Who would've been questioned regarding a negative patient outcome? (Hint: It would've been you.)

3) Why aren't you going to question him? Are you there to learn or not? How do you expect to learn if you're not asking questions? I've refused to sign off on students and new hires I've precepted because they haven't asked any questions.

4) You say the medic in question is a great medic. What are you using as a benchmark? Everything you've outlined in this discussion regarding his behaviour shows someone who's either lazy or not interested in doing the less glamorous work required of the job.

Mind you, I'm not posting any of this as an attempt to slam you on anything. I'm trying to make/help you think about this particular call.

With regards to this being a funny call because of not noticing the transgender status of the patient in question, there is no attempt to get into a debate over the behaviour of the patient. I'm just trying to understand why you found it funny. We have to take care of everyone we encounter regardless of their status or how they're dressed. If nothing else it would've been worth a note in the chart regarding how the patient presented. But for the life of me I can't find anything funny about not noticing the fact that the patient was transgender.

Well what i could have done better, next time i will definatley have to be more vocal to the patients about what could happen if the patients weren't treated accodingly. I already know i need to be morse assertive when i am a team leader. Also i suppose i could have asked him why we weren't doing a more focused assesment. This paramedic I think was probably trying to get everything cleared up quickly. It was rush hour after all and i don't think he wanted to stay on scene to long; not to metnion our en route time was like maybe 5 minutes since the hospital is only a couple of miles from the interstate so we didn't have much time to try and convince them or do any more thorugh exams. However I was monitering them as we went, in the seat across from the bench. They both remained stable, and the charge nurse ordered us to tot to triage. The paramedic did most of the documentation. I did the narrative if i can recall correctly. And i did put every detail in. The paramedic reviewed it and made sure it had all the key points. And what makes him a great medic he has over 30 years of experiance and he was constanlty asking (even on bls calls) if this happend what would you do, he was always teaching me ways to improve. After every call we would sit down and he would ask me, what did I do good and what could I have done better. After I answer with my opinions he tells me what he thinks. He also helped me (along with some people from here) about being more comfortable doing ivs. I have had some preceptors who i went to and they told me what to do and i did it. They didn't ask me what I would do, and never helped me learn new techniques. And as far as you trying to slam me, i don't feel that at all. I love to hear peoples opinions. It will make me a better emt, and eventualy a better paramedic. So please feel free to share them. I will never learn otherwise :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.