ems in washington state

I really want to move out to washington to work as a paramedic. Is there anyone here who works out there? Is ems part of the fire department? What is the best town/city to work in? Whats the pay like? If anyone knows what i should expect please share your experiances.

Emtcutie-

Washington is a large state with two very different demographics dependant on the side of the cascades you are. I know the Eastside far more in depth, but even over here it is a broad spectrum. Some citys have a fire based EMS system that transports where others have fire based initial response and a private company doing the transport. Some EMS systems are funded through the old hospital districts and are mostly volly, and some are fully paid. We have fly-car medics and we have some Medic/Medic rigs. There are citys where private EMS does 911 and fire doesnt respond at all. We have a few air based ambulances but they run on a RT&RN staff or RN/speciality nurse. Washington is also the home of MEDIC ONE over in Seattle and King county. They are a fire based, research driven agency. We even have a private non-profit agency. Some agencys run a station/dorm/motel room system where others run System status.

The pay varies as much as the agency type does. I have heard of medics making $10.00/hr and I have heard of tenured fire medics making close to $100K. I have worked with 7 different agencys through out the state over the last 10 years and have seen alot of change between them. Over all it is a great place to live and work but I would need to know a little bit more to guide you more clearly.

Fireman1037

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.