First ride-a-long today

Hello!

I have my first ride along tonight and I'm pretty nervous. I thought it would be smart to take St. Paddy's day to ensure we weren't slow. I thought it was a good idea, but now that time has come I'm very nervous and very excited.

I'm pretty good with patient assessement, looking back feel I may have jumped in over my head before getting my feet wet. :bonk:

Does anyone have any tips or thoughts on my first time out? Aside from BSI/Scene Saftey anything else I should keep in mind?

Thanks!

-MetalMedic

Eyes open, volunteer to carry all the equipment you can handle. Ask your preceptor what they want you to do. Be a sponge- absorb every bit of information that you can. Ask questions- at the appropriate times, of course. Good luck and enjoy.

Don't be shy get out there and get your feet "wet." Ask your preceptor your role as some will have you watch the first few calls to see how they handle things and others will let you jump right in. Be willing ready to do as much as possible including skills, assessments, treatments, radio reports, etc. Ask for feedback. Be ready to explain your treatment as a good preceptor should question your treatment to makes sure you know why your doing xyz not what your doing. Don't be worried if they question your treatment as they are probably just wanting to see how you back it up.

When you get to a point where you don't know what to ask make sure you have covered all your OPQRST and SAMPLE.

Call the patient by their name and take a moment to introduce yourself when appropriate.

Good luck!