Thoughs about AMR?

So I'm set up to have a written test at AMR next week. First of all I was wondering if anyone new what I can expect on the test?

Also I read a few things on the web about AMR and some feedback about the company seemed negative.

Anyone have any experience with them?

knew**** haha

The evil empire is just that.

A large corporate conglomerate where you will be a number in the system. For the most part profit is the only thing that matters to them.

EMS providers need a pulse & a patch to apply for employment.

Screw up once and odds are good you will be gone.

Yes , I worked for them for one week after they bought out a wonderful family run ambulance service, took our new trucks away "to be painted" and gave us three clapped out 5 yo trucks with 300,000 miles on the clock to work from. We took them to the motor vehicle department and had them do an inspection for mechanical deficiencies. They were condemned on the spot by the state.

All of us left our notice that day when we went to pick up our personal cars from the lot.

I did some ride outs with AMR and heard nothing but negative things about the company. The medics that I rode with did nothing but complain about the constantly rotating partners and how they were nothing but a number to management. The only positive thing they said the whole day was that the pay was good.

But unfortunately, where I live you don't get any 911 system experience unless you work for AMR or the FD, so I applied and had an interview with them about a week ago. The written exam was really easy...thought it was a lot easier than the NREMT. It was almost all case based scenarios, and most of mine had something to do with altered mental status. The physical exam was interesting though. I did both on the same day. They sent a list of work outs you should do at the gym to prepare for it, but I honestly didn't think those did much...the exam just seemed really different. But as long as you can lift about 130+ lbs, you should be fine. As for the written exam, I would recommend just brushing up on any information you are a little unfamiliar with and you should be fine.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Well I apologize for my spelling and I stand corrected.

I wasn't familiar with AMR because they're in a city about 45 minutes away from where I live. My boyfriend saw some of them on their break and asked them about how they like it. He said they seemed to enjoy their jobs, so I guess I'll see! If all else fails there are a few other smaller companies in my area I can check out. Doesn't seem like it will be too hard to get through the testing part, so that's good. They didn't say anything about the physical test yet, so I'll come prepared, but I'm guessing they will do that at a later date.

Anyways, thank you kndoug1 your answer was what I was looking for. Good luck to you as well!

AMR has a habit of moving into an area, either buying up all the ambulance companies (or driving them out of business), and then doing something to get their priveliges suspended or revoked. This eventually leads to the area being completely without EMS coverage.

AMR has no compunctions against 'jumping calls' either. Imagine getting dispatched to a call, only to find out that AMR is already on scene as you roll up...

I know for a fact that this is what they did in Flint, MI. About the time that AMR started getting priveliges suspended in cities and counties. By the time the smoke cleared, the State of MI revoked their priveliges to practice statewide.

I've spoken to HR managers with several companies and they have resoundingly told me that AMR on your resume isn't going to win you any 'preference points', but could have a 'negative effect'...

AMR's focus is becoming the biggest EMS provider in the United States. They care nothing about being the BEST provider, and as has been said before; all you really are to them is a 'warm body in a uniform'.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.