National Registry, Need it or no?

11outof10

So the rumors are that michigan will be going back to state certification only. My national registry recert is coming up next month and If they aren't going to use it, I wonder if i should bother?

I was first licensed in Michigan, then Kentucky. I'm not planning on leaving Michigan any time soon and don't really feel like shelling out the bucks for the refresher and NREMT again.

Replying because i couldn't figure out how to edit?

Also my paramedic class will by finished in 10 months. Another reason not to get it? After all, I'll just have to pay for the medic NREMT.

If not required by your state no point in keeping it unless already a Paramedic. Many states at the lower levels even with NR require classes etc in their states so not any real benefit. At Paramedic level many states allow you to pay the fee and you become a Paramedic in that state. So once you get Paramedic keep your NR status even if not required.

I will be in a similar position next year, with my NREMT-B card expiring 4 months before I finish medic school, and not needing the NR for my state. I agree with what was said above, just recert your NR. You should have enough CME to just input it into the website to renew your card, and it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Registry is much easier to keep than it is to get. You state that you are or have been certified in both KY and MI. Having NREMT will make it much easier to get reciprocity should you desire to move in the future. You might not think you are ever going to leave MI, BUT you never know.

Bill

http://emseducation1.blogspot.com/

Always put a log into the wheel of the rumor mill. Call some official office, your state EMS office, director, the NREMT folks.. Get correct answers.

I have a question.. If you have NREMT, do you still need to meet the individual state's con-ed credits, or do you just meet one set for the NR? I had the option of taking NREMTB in '99, but it wasn't offered in our state, we'd have had to travel to Ohio in order to test. Just wasn't worth it, b/c I never plan on leaving. I do have an EMT cert in two states, though. Just a plus on a resume, for potential jobs, I figured.

I have a question.. If you have NREMT, do you still need to meet the individual state's con-ed credits, or do you just meet one set for the NR? I had the option of taking NREMTB in '99, but it wasn't offered in our state, we'd have had to travel to Ohio in order to test. Just wasn't worth it, b/c I never plan on leaving. I do have an EMT cert in two states, though. Just a plus on a resume, for potential jobs, I figured.

The con-ed for state vs NR varies from state to state. In some states, all you need to do to recert your state card is submit a current NREMT card. In other states they have the exact same con-ed requirements as NR, but you need to submit your proof of con-ed (or just a list of the con-ed you have done) separately to NR and your state to recert both. Finally, I am sure there are some states out there that have completely different requirement for recerting their cards.

Uhg...The NREMT's (No Real Emergency Maintaining This).....

Well, for the past 10+yrs I have maintained it thinking I would someday move to that uses it as Licensing without requiring me to also pay my state for another REQUIRED License.

If you have it its best to keep it because someday states that are financially tapped may just take the easy route by just requiring the NREMT Lic.

To maintain the NREMT its pretty easy and not that expensive unlike my state that requires 24hrs a year CME plus $175.00 per year for the State License. So basically DON't move to CT. They require you to get national registered but can't work until you apply for the state lic...once state lic issued you can then drop the NR...how fubar is that?

But basically I say get it maintain it its not that hard

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.