I'm not impressed

basejump

Are we really ready to be dishing more money to ACP because that time is coming soon as per the "courteous email" i'm sure everyone recieved if you're a registered practioner. Mooooooo Mooooooo can you hear the cash cow calling? I personally believe paying more money to ACP isn't going to benefit me or any of us, and frankly i'm tired of it. Why does ACP exsist if AHS has taken over? Why don't they take over for examinations,registrations etc? I'm sure it's not quite cut and dry but..... Sorry for the short rant,i'll be back to post more...... gotta run,stay warm.

• Like 1

Yes welcome to a.new year with new.acp fees. The explanation they use for increased fees is the survey we filled out, which is aneat little trick. Oh you want some improvements from us? No problem, but... It will cost ya. Typical cynical acp tactic.

As for ACP dissolving in the face of AHS. Not gonna happen. AHS is our employer. ACP is a regulatory body. Believe me, as bad as ACP is you, I and everyone else do not want AHS determining our scope of practice.

• 1 month later...

I have to admit that I have done my share of complaining aimed at ACP, but my attitude has changed some most recently. Don't get me wrong - I still feel that it is an organization with no real use to practitioners in the province. The change in attitude is mostly that I think we may be getting exactly what we deserve. Face it, an organization that has no input and no support from its membership is highly unlikely to be able to respond effectively. AGMs are very poorly attended, for example - 30 to 60 people out of the thousands who could is a pathetic turnout.

There are solutions, I think. Most of us say that we can't take the time to attend the AGM. This may be true, though I can't see any more than half of us being on shift at any given time. Life gets in the way too - lets assume that realistically only one in 10 of us can go. Well, that still means that 800 people should be at the AGM, right? There are other solutions to allowing practitioners input as well - including making the AGM completely online, in a forum/vote format.

We are stuck with ACoP, whether we like it or not. Maybe a few more of us need to get in and do something about it, instead of sitting back and bashing it. I have a few more ideas, and possibly plans to run next year once this studenthood is finished. Anybody else got input?

• Like 1

The change in attitude is mostly that I think we may be getting exactly what we deserve.

You can't hear it, but I started a slow clap.

I am lighting up each and every practitioner that whines too me, and ask them to outline to me how they have supported an association in this province, or what years they attended the AGM.

The glazed over look os always the same.

• Like 1

WE did not deserve this .. no clapping from me, at one point AB was respected as a leader .. no longer due to the leadership that was 'HIRED'. Now an RN as a assistant registrar .. say what ?

Well medic north I just want to say I have tried my best but when by-laws changed (called housekeeping) the concept of self governance was lost in its entirety.

ACoP is an arm of the AB Conservatives Government plain and simple as is ACSP now, until there is a change of government ...

YOU will all be paying for national reciprocity exams.

YOU will all be paying for Foreign Health Care Credentialing.

YOU will all be paying for "CON ED" reporting redevelopment .

BUT fortunately you ALL will no longer see my face at any AGM .. simply because it is a proven waste of time for anyone to attend, unless your an EMR and NCSO wanting to climb a political ladder.

I am simply nauseated by the fact that the propaganda of "what can you do for your college instead of what the college can do for you"

Interesting read, Squinter. I know that you have been very involved in trying to make some changes there, and have met with acute frustration. My point remains the same, though: until we actually get enough people from the trenches to get involved, nothing can possibly change. You are allowed to bitch about ACP - you have been there. I dont care how much it appears that it is a tool of the Conservative government.... if 100 people with a vision for change show up, it will be a different story.

Yes, we do get what we deserve, my friend. Send two busloads of paramedics to the AGM, and watch the sparks fly!

(BTW, some of my best friends are EMRs, lol)

• Like 1

Interesting read, Squinter. I know that you have been very involved in trying to make some changes there, and have met with acute frustration. My point remains the same, though: until we actually get enough people from the trenches to get involved, nothing can possibly change. You are allowed to bitch about ACP - you have been there. I dont care how much it appears that it is a tool of the Conservative government.... if 100 people with a vision for change show up, it will be a different story.

Yes, we do get what we deserve, my friend. Send two busloads of paramedics to the AGM, and watch the sparks fly!

(BTW, some of my best friends are EMRs, lol)

LMFAO: Frustration would be the PC term and as you know that is so NOT in my grumpy old man vocabulary. One of my best friend's and personal advisors is an EMR (although he never CALLS ME !) :shiftyninja: but thats so NOT the point, it is not a power issue its a realistic rational thought process.

Question:

Do you have a LPN as the President of the AARN ?

Do you have a President RN of the ACSP.

Do you have a Dental Assistant President of the Dental Hygienist College ?

The future in regulation and scope SHOULD be ones that have that scope and experience, to look forward into the future of prehospital care medicine. The leaders that have actually had to insert large bore IVS into a central vein, give drugs that could kill a living human being, decompress a Pneumo thorax, individuals that have had to decide to commit a human to Life Support, or when to push a clot busting drug and weight the benefit. This in the back of an gut wagon / aircraft. Do you see where I am going with this ?

An EMR with a background in the "so called safety industry" is NOT the right background and it is a conflict of interest. YOU have WORKED in the government mandated, Industrial EMS, yes the unwashed and unregulated, never to be inspected for registration cards or inspected to carry the required ALS or BLS equipment ... but to count the safety pins in the OH+S level 3 kit ? To be dictated and controlled by sub contracted NCSO .... haven't you ? <cough>

Catch this: The latest move by Transport AB is to "permit" the transport of the sick and injured by MTC on highways provided they have a coathanger for roll bar protection of all occupants in the back of a camper ! btw our overseers were never consulted oddly enough AHS thinks this is a great idea ? So tell me again what is the Ambulance Services Act for then ? Are workers NOT members of the general public should Corporate Industry set standards for Private but mandated government (OH+S level Health Care ? ... oh so don't get me going with that hypocrisy ! I digress.

Question:

1-With this so called open, transperant "operation" did you hear anything about this Federal Grant application and besides far beyond provincial health care jurisdiction or mandate, or just like me the announcement in awarding of the federal grant moneys and acceptance ? meh see "UPSTART" in PAC statement. It certainly appears to undo 10 years of federal lobbying besides generating a huge rift across Canada, just saying.

excerpt from Presidents of PAC statement OCT 2010:

http://www.paramedic.ca/Content.aspx?ContentID=12&ContentTypeID=1

read entire statement, in link.

Today we will be presenting to you a body of work that is the result of the renewal process for the National Occupational Competency Profile, the document utilized by all facets of our profession to define and drive the profession from the educational, regulation, accreditation, and operational levels. If approved these documents will be the foundation for the profession over the next number of years. While it is recognized that there are areas of this work that can be improved, such as the integration of high fidelity simulation as a terminal performance environment, the NOCP is the most up-to-date and accurate document from which this profession can move forward.

With that being said, it is also important that you understand that there has been some challenge to the validity and use of this document. This challenge has been coming from an upstart group called the Canadian Organization of Paramedic Regulators. This group has challenged us in the validity of the PAC developing a competency profile, stating their position, that the development of competencies is the prevue of the regulators. While PAC would agree with their legal authority to define the scope of practice for the profession, the development of competencies and other necessary professional standards documents (competencies, blueprinting) is a collaborative project for all stakeholders of the profession, including educators, regulators, employers and professional associations. We have reason to believe that we can overcome these hurdles, and that in the very near future that both organizations will come together to work collaboratively for the common good of the profession.

PLEASE Volunteer: help us establish a Canadian exam bank" but oddly enough they got a 1.2 million dollar fund for this ? soooo just where did that go ? One can only wonder if this imply's that the existing exam bank for registration in this province is out of date :book: ?

Article 5.5: Special Meetings

5.5.1 Upon providing at least 21 days notice to the individuals eligible previso subject too what criteria ? to attend,

Council shall convene a Special Meeting to deal with an urgent or emergency

matter that cannot be postponed until the next Annual General Meeting:

5.5.1.1 Where a two thirds majority of the Council passes a motion to this effect,

or <insert (note well: That 25% of council members are "public appointees" of AB GOV)>

5.5.1.2 Where the Chief Executive Officer receives a written request for such a

meeting, signed by at least 10% of all Registered Members.

PROBLEM: HOW can this current (bylaw 5.5.1.2) be accomplished, hiding behind privacy laws as there is no realistic mechanism in place. I dare suggest if this was tabled on the floor of the AB legislature there would be some seriously heated debate! With the "closed" access to converse or even contact any member in good standing is IMHO simply a control mechanism. It is impossible to impliment bylaw 5.5.1 for "special meeting" as presently one can not contact any member in good standing (let alone 10%)...like say just off the top of my head discuss the start up of the:

ASSOCIATION FOR ADVOCACY OF ALBERTA EMS PROVIDERS

AAA AEMS it would put it at the top of the list in a goggle search ... comments ?

I dont care how much it appears that it is a tool of the Conservative government.... if 100 people with a vision for change show up, it will be a different story.

NOPE WAY TOO LATE, been there tried that, read the new bylaws and look to the history of the PAC incident, the council and registar can overthrow any motion VOTED on and PASSED by the membership, and throw out a council member that disagrees ... got to love democracy in action. BTW take 2 busloads of Paramedics and there will be no BEER left in Red Deer.. j/k but take 30 bus loads of Paramedics and CAF, and RCMP ERT team would be put on standby !

At this point in the movie: I am forced to include a notable quote (from memory) from Past President Paramedic Bill Coghill @ 2010 AGM and its in the minutes. Madam Registrar: The silence you are HEARING ... is DEAFENING.

I sure enjoyed the presentation of the sweeping bylaw changes @ the AGM 2009, the rationale being: and I quote: housekeeping issues and were presented 24 hours (at most) at the AGM, as well as the budget this certianly does't allow much time to review the numbers or the all implications (proven now) see annie emt post reguarding that "budget" with her background in finances, I do trust her judgement far more. Then the twisted survey results to "inform the public about the regulatory bodies role" here I thought the questions posed was to promote the profession in its entirety, but survey says: 12 G cost to justify the "councils" goals ... but a refusal to release to membership the comments and that only about 1000 (who knows) respondents out of possible 7000 ... weird eh ?

In Closing the Independent MLA Dr. Raj Sherman and the now the entire opposition parties in the legislature plus the AMA state adamantly suggests their does exist a culture of intimidation in vast majority of components with the present AB health care system and oddly enough calling for a independent investigation. I also agree, besides the fact I personally have written PROOF that anyone daring to challenge any council goals are subject to action. btw A copy is in the hands of interested MLAs and Dr. Rajs Shermans favourite Lawyer :shiftyninja: We need a new government in Alberta before any advancement in the profession is possible, for that matter health care and in its entirety as simply throwing money at a problem without intelligent input by field level stakeholders is simply not working and by very definition ... ECONOMIC INSANITY.

<late edit and side bar:>

Ok so for those working in the new improved AHS system that was projected to cost 110 million and now estimated at 480 million and no where near completed.

Is the public better off ?

Is the Dispatch system better ?

Is there an improved coverage model for rural Alberta ?

Are you practising improved prehospital care medicine and within your registration scope ?

Are you actually working / assisting part of the team in rural ERs ?

(as past health minister Liepert promised)

Are you happy that our fee taking body is actually providing any continuing education like MEDICAL ?

Are you pleased with the 3 wize men like Sxxxx, Sxxxxxx, and Lxxx being the ONLY Medical Directors and guidelines are now strict adherence to the cook book ?

Do you believe that vision of "improved utilization" in the urban environment model actually works?

Were you at AHS EMS issued a lawn chair for hallway medicine ?

Just like the Provincial Conservatives have done with all the health care issues, throw gobbs of money at a problem, yet never solve the problem, but make it more complex.(see ECONOMIC INSANITY above)

Unsolicited advice: If you have any idea's to improve the system, write your MLA and carbon copy to any member of the opposition .. it just keeps things honest is all. btw this post is bcc'ed to members of opposition parties.

cheers

<hands over soap box, time for a nap>

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anybody have any idea what the number of practitioners attended the last ACP AGM? 2010 had about 130 (with proxies) but I was unable to attend and sent my proxy up with someone but didn't get what the actual number was. I figured well below 100.

Anybody have any idea what the number of practitioners attended the last ACP AGM? 2010 had about 130 (with proxies) but I was unable to attend and sent my proxy up with someone but didn't get what the actual number was. I figured well below 100.

Go to the ACoP website it is mentioned in the webcast.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.