NYS EMT to AB EMT

I am so excited to have found this site!

I am a Canadian citizen born and raised in Alberta (specifically Strathmore and Calgary), am a Critical Care Technician in NY and am currently finishing up my Paramedic at a college in New York.

I plan on extending my visa to gain more experience before returning to Alberta. Obviously, I'm familiar with protocol in my region, I know the area, I know closest appropriate facilities, Physicians capabilities, available resources, etc., so would like to become comfortable with my skills while I am comfortable with my surroundings BUT I'm coming home. :)

My question is: how in the world do I do it?

As far as I know from the ACP website is that I can provide proof that I fulfill the requirements based upon ACP standards and with written authorization can become eligible to sit for the written and then perform practical examination. I can't understand the level of reciprocity, though. I know that I am not going to be handed a Paramedic card as soon as I request, I am going to have to prove myself and work for it.

Has anyone experienced this process? It would be great to have some resources/ people to help me through. Also, I would LOVE a copy of Alberta protocals (is there a difference regionally or within the urban areas like Calgary/ Edmonton etc.?).

Any help at all would be appreciated!

Dana.

Since the AHS take over, protocols province wide are now all the same. If you have an iPhone you can download them (search AHS EMS in the app store). My best guess would be that you wouldn't have to write te ACP exam, but they may have you write a jurisprudence exam, and probably submit a transcript or somethig of the sort. Hope this helped.

Since the AHS take over, protocols province wide are now all the same. If you have an iPhone you can download them (search AHS EMS in the app store). My best guess would be that you wouldn't have to write te ACP exam, but they may have you write a jurisprudence exam, and probably submit a transcript or somethig of the sort. Hope this helped.

Totally disagree. I am certain that you will have to write the Prov ACP exam.

Depending on your course hrs, and material covered, you may be required to register at the EMT-A level, then take upgrader courses, or the Paramedic refresher course.

Just something to consider: Our ACP/Paramedic program is 2 yrs full time. If your course is not parallel to that, you will be required to upgrade.

Alberta is a VERY difficult province to transfer into.... believe me, I have done it twice.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.