Looking Beyond Paramedic

Bieber

Hi, everyone. I'm writing this thread looking for some advice and criticism regarding my future career plans. As most of you know, I just finished paramedic school and became certified (shift number two this Saturday) and I'm working part time for my local service (applied for full time, don't know when that might happen though I heard rumors about March) and going to school.

My initial plans were to complete a Bachelor's in Biology and apply for PA school, but after some soul searching I really think that EMS is the place for me and where I'd like to stay long term. Now I'm not saying that PA or med school might not be in my cards, but if they are they're further down the line. What I really think I'd like to get into is critical care transport.

As most of you who speak to me on the forums know, I am a huge, huge proponent of paramedics obtaining higher degrees. I can't think of any other single thing that will advance our profession as much as increasing educational standards; and I believe a large part of increasing educational standards nationally comes from increasing our own personal educational standards.

I've been speaking with the folks over at the University of Pittsburgh about their Bachelor's of Emergency Medicine program. Right now I'm eligible for my Associate's in Applied Science as a requirement for my paramedic program (no word yet on exactly when I'll get the actual degree, I think they do that this spring), and I think--I THINK--I am eligible for advanced standing within the program which would allow me to complete the senior year and (finally) obtain my Bachelor's degree. Part of the senior year is becoming CCEMT-P certified, which, while I know there are some shortcomings to that certification, I still think isn't a wholly worthless class and certification.

The same college through which I attended paramedic school also offers a three semester paramedic to RN bridge program, which I think I would like to get after completing my Bachelor's degree through U-Pitt.

So my questions to you guys are: from what you know of Bachelor's degrees in EMS, and especially if anyone here has been through or knows a bit about the program at U-Pitt, do you feel that this would be a good degree to obtain that would strengthen my clinical knowledge? And do you feel that having a Bachelor's in EMS along with my RN would make me a strong candidate for critical care transport? Bear in mind, the entire process would take around two years from now and I would like to work full time throughout it and feel it would probably be wise to have at least another full year of 911 work before I entered the critical care realm.

Also, because I am less familiar with critical care services than I am with 911 (though I did work dispatch for a critical care transport service prior to entering paramedic school), can anyone give me a rough estimate of the salary range (in Kansas or comparable) I can expect working critical care transport? I really feel like this might be where I'm supposed to be, and I feel very strongly that EMS is hindered when paramedics who obtain higher degrees move out into other professions (essentially leaving only those without in EMS), but at the same time I DO want to make a decent living--but I'm not in this to be cruising in a corvette or anything too fancy.

Thanks for the advice, and for those of you stuck in the storm with me be safe.

If you're honestly interested in critical care transport you'll do better as a nurse than you will as a medic... especially if you decide to move around a bit before settling down. In order to reach that point, however, you'll probably have to do some floor time in the ICU. Supplementing your hospital based RN employment with an occasional EMS shift wouldn't be a bad thing to do.

Maintaining both an RN license and paramedic certification can also improve your marketability in a variety of settings.

If you go the RN route, an EMS degree isn't going to do much for you in terms of dealing with a hospital. It may help from an EMS/CC standpoint, though. But for what you've outlined, a BSN will trump an EMS degree any day. (For now, anyway. Let's keep working to change that!!!)

That being said, if you really want to make a difference don't give up on PA or med school. In fact, don't give up on working on preparing yourself for them now. By the time you finish the degree requirements and pre-requisites for either school you'll have several years as a medic under your belt. You will then be set with EMS experience and a solid educational foundation for either program. Upon completion of the program of your choice, you'll be set for a real leadership position in EMS with the opportunity to advocate for some major changes to EMS nationwide.

I don't really think an EMS degree is going to do much for you outside of EMS. A nursing degree will do more for you as the roles available to RNs are much greater than available roles for medics. An undergraduate science degree followed with MD or DO after your name will do a lot more for you.

You have obviously given this a lot of thought. You have asked some good questions and you have several very good options available to you. It seems pretty clear that whatever you choose to do will result in some pretty amazing things. For whatever this mindless drivel is worth, I hope it helps.

Good luck!

Again young Jedi : i applaud your desire to be the best you can.

If I was young and starting over in this profession again, I would get a degree in Paramedicine followed, by a degree in either nursing or go on to be a PA/ NP. As aN RN or NP you get better hours, better benefits and much better pay scales.. On a critical care truck the RN would probably be making up to 50% more than the CCEMTP, ding the same work.

There is not a big difference in pay scale for a CCEMTP , at least not in the northeast. Less than a couple $$ an hour.

If you want to stay in the street and want to make a comfortable living you will need to look at a third service such as Boston EMS.

Privates don't pay nor do the biggies such as the empire or mural retro, who are known for hiring warm bodies with a ticket until they use them up and toss them aside.

Don't give up your dream, but stay in school.

I see that Mike & I were typing many of the same thoughts at the same time.

Take it from a couple of old dogs , keep at your education and don't stagnate in EMS

Edited by island emt

Another option is to consider respiratory therapy. If nursing theory and the doctor nurse politics are a deal breaker, respiratory therapy is an option to consider. In addition, you have a significant amount of critical care experience as a respiratory student.

Take care,

chbare.

Thanks everyone for all the advice, I really appreciate it and it's good to hear a couple of different takes on the matter--a couple of ideas suggested, like the RT one, I hadn't even considered.

If you're honestly interested in critical care transport you'll do better as a nurse than you will as a medic... especially if you decide to move around a bit before settling down. In order to reach that point, however, you'll probably have to do some floor time in the ICU. Supplementing your hospital based RN employment with an occasional EMS shift wouldn't be a bad thing to do.

Maintaining both an RN license and paramedic certification can also improve your marketability in a variety of settings.

That's what I thought. Around here most of the critical care services staff an RN and a paramedic, so being dual certified would let me work with whoever they pair me with. But to be honest, I don't have a real burning desire to work as an RN outside of transport.

If you go the RN route, an EMS degree isn't going to do much for you in terms of dealing with a hospital. It may help from an EMS/CC standpoint, though. But for what you've outlined, a BSN will trump an EMS degree any day. (For now, anyway. Let's keep working to change that!!!)

I might be mistaken, but from the nurses I've spoken to it's my understanding that a BSN really only seems to help with getting into management and administration as opposed to changing or advancing your role in the clinical setting. Does that sound correct to you? To be completely honest, part of why I'm so interested in this BS in Emergency Medicine is because if I AM eligible to only have to take the senior year, I'll be done with my Bachelor's a lot sooner than I would in any other Bachelor's program that I've looked at so far. My number one priority right now is to just get my Bachelor's (don't get me wrong, I DO want it to be a meaningful Bachelor's, and I wouldn't pick something like liberal arts in theatre even if THAT were the shortest route), and since I only have to take three more semesters to get my RN through the local bridge program, that seems like it would be the shortest route to obtaining my Bachelor's AND my RN. It's nothing specifically against a BSN, but I'm twenty-four and I feel like I should already have my Bachelor's by now.

That being said, if you really want to make a difference don't give up on PA or med school. In fact, don't give up on working on preparing yourself for them now. By the time you finish the degree requirements and pre-requisites for either school you'll have several years as a medic under your belt. You will then be set with EMS experience and a solid educational foundation for either program. Upon completion of the program of your choice, you'll be set for a real leadership position in EMS with the opportunity to advocate for some major changes to EMS nationwide.

Thanks for the encouragement. Like I said, I'm still not sure if PA or med school is in my future, but I know for certain that if I DO stay in EMS, I want to lead by example and help set the tone for more educated, more qualified paramedics within the system and help fight against these paramedic mills that churn out medics in six months or however long they are.

Thanks again, everyone. I look forward to more opinions from the rest of the forum!

Well, that didn't quite work out!

Over the last week or so I've been trying to make this thing with U-Pitt happen and, unfortunately, it didn't. The problem was all financial, it would have cost about twenty grand for the two semesters I'd've been attending and that's something of a deal-breaker, unfortunately. That's all right, though. Taking what little I know about the healthcare industry and what you guys have so graciously offered, I considered going for my BSN instead and became rather depressed when I realized just how much more schooling that would entail for me. My unfortunate situation is that, though I have 115 credit hours, not enough of them are in one concentration to earn me a Bachelor's and the courses a nursing degree would have required are almost all ones that I do not have; so in essence, I would have had to start from scratch.

However, after some careful reflection about my options and also what my own personal career goals are, I've decided to resume the path I had been on pursuing a Bachelor's in Biology with a few twists to it. In addition to my Bachelor's in Biology, I'm also going to try and get my Associate's RN. The tough part was deciding which program to choose from; because I can bridge to RN in three semesters (summer included) through the same college I got my paramedic, however I wouldn't be able to start till next spring--or to start a regular RN program at another college this fall that does four semesters and only spring and fall. My eagerness to start the program is hard for me to restrain, but I think that the bridge program is a better fit for me. Following the bridge program, I'll only have one more semester of classes to get my Bachelor's as well.

So my (presumably permanent but knowing me still tentative) plan is to get the rest of the prereqs for the bridge program as well as work on some Bachelor's classes this year, start the RN program next year and continue to take a few Bachelor's classes in addition to that (one or two a semester tops) and finish my RN the fall of 2012 and my Bachelor's the spring of 2013. The good thing about this route is that it also gets me all of the pre-PA classes I need, so that remains a possibility I wouldn't have if I'd gone the BSN route and if it fails or I decide it's not for me, I'll have a Bachelor's and my RN to keep my career viable and my options open.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out with this, especially to Dwayne for giving me some good advice on the side. Don't know what the future holds for me long-term, but I think this path will make me a better clinician no matter where I end up.

Sounds like you have a plan, Bieber, and that's the first step. As you have already realized, the best laid plans...

It's good that you are flexible- you never know what curves life can throw at you that try to derail all your best intentions. Roll with those curves and adapt, and if things don't quite work out- time wise or course wise, do not beat yourself up over it.

Good luck, and keep your options open. Something may come along that you never even considered before and it may take you in a whole new direction. As long as you are happy and doing what you want(or at least heading in that direction), it's all golden.

Another option is to consider respiratory therapy. If nursing theory and the doctor nurse politics are a deal breaker, respiratory therapy is an option to consider. In addition, you have a significant amount of critical care experience as a respiratory student.

Take care,

chbare.

Just to add, there are very few cross trained RRT / REMT-P .. if you wish to land a job flying this is a good option.

cheers