Questions on Basic programs

Thumpah

Hello all, I'm new but from what I've read I think I'm going to fit right in. At this point in my life, I'm finding that my path in college isn't very much my thing anymore. I've wanted to be a Medic since I was little, but when it came time for college, I was pushed in the direction of higher pay, computers. Don't get me wrong, it's good work and it pays great. The only problem is that it is quite possibly the most boring way to make a living. The college that I'm going to now offers an EMT Basic course that takes 3 months. This is where I have some questions.

Firstly, there is an accelerated course. My question is whether or not someone with no formal training in medicine could feasibly do an accelerated course. My parents are both in medical lab jobs and I've grown up around blood and medicine all my life. I even passed an online practice exam.

Secondly, I'm not going in blind here. I've done a ride along with a local Private company. Capital Ambulance of Bangor Maine. It was the most fun I'd ever had. My question here is about my current work experience. I'm currently a supervisor at a local restaurant after 4 years of employment. I'm not at all squeemish. I've cleaned puke, crap and blood up so many times that I've lost count, and I've had people in my face screaming at me every day. That on top with a store open 24hours, I'm very used to working at 4am one day and 2pm the next. Would you consider someone who would do well finding employment seeing as I have management experience and stay with jobs?

Lastly, would you consider $12 dollars an hour a good starting pay for a Basic at a private company?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice.

Hello.

EMT-Basic can be completed in as little as two weeks by way of an accelerated course. While it's not really rocket science, it isn't really something that should be covered in two weeks. Could someone with no medical background successfully complete an accelerated EMT-B course? Absolutely. It happens all the time.

Your second question requires a bit of a blunt answer. EMT-Bs are a dime a dozen. In most places, and from my limited experience with Maine that counts as part of "most places", all you need is a card and a pulse. Your past work history may make you a little more attractive to those doing the hiring. But you can still be replaced on a whim and without a second thought.

The starting salary you mention is entirely dependent on the local economy. Just keep in mind, however, that most starting salaries for EMT-Bs don't ever increase with time on the job. So be ready to still be earning $12/hr after a couple years there.

Also, $12/hr isn't a lot of money. Especially if you're trying to survive on that amount. If you stay in school it might be good for beer money. But it won't be much if you're looking to make EMS a career.

Some alternatives you may want to consider include finishing your computer science degree. Boring though it may be you'll do much better with an IT job than you ever will with an EMS job. That income can pay for the excitement you're not getting in a server room. Or you can take the EMT-B class and roll into a paramedic class. You still won't earn much as a medic and you'll be pretty limited in terms of what you can do career wise. Or you could go to nursing school which can offer a widely varied and even exciting career in the medical field. You could then take that nursing experience and supplement that with a paramedic certification to offer more marketability to yourself.

Whatever you do, DO NOT DROP OUT OF COLLEGE! Even if you get a computer science degree, even if you never use it, it will do more for you in the long run than dropping out and relying on your HS diploma will ever do. So don't drop out.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Paramedicmike is right.

Take the EMT Course in the College; continue to do ride alongs at Capital Ambulance of Bangor Maine. Look into the accelerated program; I'm assuming its Paramedic. If it is; take it; I assume you'll finish with an Associates Degree. You have plenty of rotations to learn more and gain experience. Ride alongs or even volunteer at a local Volunteer Ambulance Corp while in class will help your EMT/Basic skills. Ask questions; there's a lot to learn. The money is a lot better as a Paramedic.

Also, with the degree; if you want to go back to school for Nursing, other Allied Health Profession, or Medicine; your basic pre-requisites will be met. That's how people have double Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctorates. Get your learn on. Good luck. All the best....

Hello all, I'm new but from what I've read I think I'm going to fit right in. At this point in my life, I'm finding that my path in college isn't very much my thing anymore. I've wanted to be a Medic since I was little, but when it came time for college, I was pushed in the direction of higher pay, computers. Don't get me wrong, it's good work and it pays great. The only problem is that it is quite possibly the most boring way to make a living. The college that I'm going to now offers an EMT Basic course that takes 3 months. This is where I have some questions.

Firstly, there is an accelerated course. My question is whether or not someone with no formal training in medicine could feasibly do an accelerated course. My parents are both in medical lab jobs and I've grown up around blood and medicine all my life. I even passed an online practice exam.

Secondly, I'm not going in blind here. I've done a ride along with a local Private company. Capital Ambulance of Bangor Maine. It was the most fun I'd ever had. My question here is about my current work experience. I'm currently a supervisor at a local restaurant after 4 years of employment. I'm not at all squeemish. I've cleaned puke, crap and blood up so many times that I've lost count, and I've had people in my face screaming at me every day. That on top with a store open 24hours, I'm very used to working at 4am one day and 2pm the next. Would you consider someone who would do well finding employment seeing as I have management experience and stay with jobs?

Lastly, would you consider $12 dollars an hour a good starting pay for a Basic at a private company?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice.

Welocme to the City! IMO having management experience and staying with a job or having people screaming at you every day is not the reason you should do the job. I may be worng, but I feel with your work experience as well that it will not help you find employment in EMS. I can say for sure what each company is looking for when they are hiring somebody, but for the most part I would say it would be based on personality, how you answer their questions, and how well you do on their scenario based examination if they have one that is part of their hiring process. You have to be able to enjoy what you do and have the PASSION for the job and want to help people and treat them with respect and compassion. Sorry I can not answer your question if 12 dollars an hour is good for a starting wage for a Basic at a private company. The service I work for, the starting wage is 18 an hour for a driver only and that is someone who does not have an EMR, PCP, or an ALS license, so all they can do is drive. The pay goes up from there depending on what license you hold and how many years you have been in the service. Now with that being said, we are a union service so that does make a big difference.

I would maybe try and do some more ride alongs if possible and talk with the medics and find out what they enjoy about the job, as well as what they don't like about the job. It will give you more of an idea of what a day and a life of a medic really is like. In my experience, working as a medic, there are very few days where you are dealing with people vomiting, yelling at you, or even very little trauma. Most of the time you are dealing with sick people, so you need to have a good understanding of Anatomy and physiology . Possibly take a first aid course first before jumping into the EMT-B course, just because IMO the course can be very intense and there is lots to learn in such a short period of time, so having some basic skills will help you in the course.

It does not matter what people tell you, just remember it is your life so it is your decision! That statment comes from my own experience from people trying to talk me out of becoming a paramedic due to such low wages. I would not change a thing as I love going to work and helping people and learning every day.

Good Luck to you!

Brian

Thanks to everybody who replied. Just as follow up, no matter what, I'm going to finish my degree. It's only a 2 year degree, no real reason to stop once I've started. The course at my college will get you a basic lisence and if you with to, you can enroll in the EMT Intermediate 2 year degree program. My idea is to finish my degree, or possibly take a summer lisence course before I graduate. Regardless, I really appreciate all the information you guys gave me.

Hey no problem :beer:

As mentioned before good luck and don't be shy, jump into discussions on the forum or post more questions. There alot of people on this site that can be very helpful.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.