Observers

BSFDEMT3

I am 17 years old and I am registered for the next available EMT class for my area. I have a huge interest in EMS and I would like to know why most ems agencies do not accept volunteers as an observer to try and gain experience, even with written consent from a parent/ guardian for liability.

You can volunteer at a Volunteer Ambulance Service/Squad/Corp. They take non EMTs in, as members; some do ride alongs and assist the EMTs, like retrieving equipment. There is no patient care involvement but you can observe.

Google for your local Volunteer EMS.

In NYS, outside NYC (even though NYC has Volunteer EMS but they do not really respond to 911 calls); most all 911 service is provided by the local Volunteer EMS and the ALS service is paid. Research online; it'll take you several minutes to locate one. Good luck....

http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/counties/map.htm

As far as riding as an observer you may not have too much luck unless you join a local volunteer ambulance or fire service. Most EMS agencies require waivers to be signed and have contracted agreements with EMS-Instructors allowing the required ride time as part of the EMT program. The agencies do not provide insurance to the student during ride time; its the EMT program that covers the insurance (usually). The other thing that will be required prior to ride time would be your OSHA, Blood Bourne and basic Hazmat training as part of the program. This includes being fit tested for an N95 TB/HEPA. Your best bet is to wait for the class to start and/or join a local volunteer service. These services usually allow observer time until a program starts. Check your local areas for Volunteer services some requir you to live in the town to volunteer and some don't.

Hope all goes well, Good luck with your program.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.