Was I Wrong?

Bieber

Congratulations on passing! Also major props on seeking feedback on this very tricky ethical dilemma. As you can see there are many things to consider, the most important being right of refusal. This is a patient right that frustrates us and drives us crazy because we know our patients aren't making positive choices and yet we can do nothing about it unless they are deemed legally incompetent.

Always step back and realize that you have all the pieces except what is inside your patient's head... and it is your responsibility to protect their right to their own bad decisions no matter how much you may disagree with them.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bearing in mind I am looking at this from a perspective of a foriegner with different procedures and policies in place, I think you did do the right thing. From reading your post, I think you didn't tech the call for the same reason I wouldn't of, because I would have been in the back, heart broken trying to think of anything to help make this guy change his mind, and if you had done that and posted it, there would have been people posting on here saying that you forced the patient into something that they didnt want or you co-erced them etc. Yes you are as responsible as the person driving or teching, but you have something that unfortunatly isnt there with alot of Paramedics and MD's and RN's I have worked with, compassion and a human heart. Yes we have to become a bit tough and "that is the life" perspective on some things, its like frequent fliers at work coming into the ER, as an RN I want to do everything I can to assist them and help them and nurture, but I know the decision is theirs and I can only know in my mind that they will come back again.

I guess I am lucky to work in a country where you have an ability to speak out and I have had EMS staff say they aren't comfy taking this patient back and we work out things, but then, again, a different country, different population and different perspective in that not everyone is out to fire or sue your ass here.

God Bless New Zealand ;)

Stick true to your guns, you have a heart, hope to see more of your posts and your growth on here :)

Scotty

I disagree with Celtic. There was no reason for the OP to have his partner tech the call, its a cop out in my opinion. If you want to take a stand, refuse to transport and suffer the outcome of the decision.

That said, I think you partner behaved like an massive prick. However, I cant agree more with the advice from Doczilla about consulting the ER staff.

It sounds by your reply that there wasnt sufficiently clear communication between you and the nurse/physician from the sending facility.

Do you feel that getting a clearer picture of things from the hospital staff would have helped your transport decision and ethical concerns?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.