Should Paramedics have teaching BLS in the curriculum

BAYAMedic

I definitely would like to see how everyone's opinion sits with this topic. I agree that the SEI or EMS Evaluator would need to be taught in coordination with this and before a direct teaching. But I think it would be a great way to humble fresh out of school Paragods and remind them that much of the time Basics are our second pair of hands.

Fireman1037

View PostFireman1037, on 22 December 2010 - 09:32 PM, said:

Fall year 3

ALS 300 NREMT Prep

ALS 301 Internship if not compleated

BLS 100 Assisting in Teaching an EMT-B Class

ALS 302 Leadership and professional Development (resume building and interview coaching)

ALS 303 The Paramedic in atypical Positions (lecture from EMT-T's, Industrial site, Mining operations, Offshore, and contract military medics)

Brentoli, Can I offer a comment? I'm not making a submission. I think you would rather go the route of an instructors class. A good one would be 3-4 college hours plus internship. Any paramedic worth something should be able to teach a BLS class, just my opinion.

spenac, on 23 December 2010 - 05:38 AM, said:

In theory that is true but in reality not all people are good teachers. You could take even many highly educated doctors that could not teach a basic class not because they do not know the material but because they are not teachers. Unless you mean they could go up and read the slides, but I'm sure that's not what you mean.

Brentoli, I don't want to take this OT, so if this merits discussion we can open a new thread. My thought process here is that an essential skill of a Paramedic would be communication, the same for an educator. A good instructor course would help to focus the communication into instruction. With the basic program as it stands, it doesn't take a masters degree to present the material, rather in depth vocational knowledge.

Like I said I don't want to sidetrack Ruffs contest, and if we want to discuss this a new thread would be great.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Edited by Fireman1037

So, this is an exercise in humility? Let's look at other providers:

Physicians required to teach PA's: Not that I'm aware of, possibly a senior resident or fellow having some sort of teaching requirement? However, I doubt it's to teach humility.

Nurses required to teach CNA's: No.

RRT's required to teach CRT's: No.

A school should emphasise teamwork and interdisciplinary respect; however, mandating new grads teach basic level providers in the name of humility?

Take care,

chbare.

Just wanted to add I am not against teaching as the programme I am currently in has a teaching requirement; however, it is integrated into our clinical schedule. I am not so sure about a dedicated credit course simply for the sake of teaching humility.

Take care,

chbare.

IMHO, teaching BLS should not be part of the paramedic program. I'm a WSI, Archery coach, and a student. I consistently see the instructors that are in it for the paycheck, or because they have to, are not as good as the instructors that are teaching because they love teaching.

I have no doubt that the paramedic students would be able to do all the BLS skills, but I think that requiring them to become certified instructors would be opening the door to having people teach the classes because someone higher up the totem pole says they have to, and if they don't want to be there, they are not going to be teaching to the best of thier ability. Its not thier fault, its just the way the human mind works. Also, not every paramedic is going to be a good teacher, even if they want to be. IMHO, the paramedic students already have enough on thier plate learning all the ALS stuff, and don't need to learn how to teach too.

I'd like to point out that there is a difference between "Showing the rookie the ropes." and teaching a class of 20 people with no experiance. I'm not saying that all, most, or many paramedics are bad teachers, just that the best way to have quality teachers is to have the teachers WANT to be teachers.

I have no problems with offering an optional section on teaching, but I don't think it should be required.

Chris.

I see no problem with offering teaching skills as part of a basic OR paramedic curriculum. Why? Because when we precept new folks, we are actually teaching. It's a good idea to have some background in how people learn, and techniques we can use to help them assimilate their didactic learning with their clinical skills.

As for teaching a class- that's an entirely different animal, and not for everyone.

As a new medic and certified FSI. (Fire instructor). I see both merits. I was an EMT 18 yrs before my medic but a fireman14 before I became an instructor.. if you have practical experience and can relate to people.. you can teach anyone anything. But new instructors just because....... I don't think so....BTW I'm also finishing up for my EMS~I

Nurses required to teach CNA's: No.

I dont agree with the idea of humility, correct. However, nurses do have to learn, even if its at the lowest levels, about instruction and education. A big part of nursing is patient education. They have nurse educators who often times further in to a Masters level degree, to teach their own.

Maybe we don't want to make every new paramedic a certified instructor, I'm cool with that. But what about teaching the new paramedic the basics of education and instructon? Not only do you have a more liberally educated provider, but you also have one more capable of communication across diffrent groups.

I am beginning work on the last phase of my Primary Instructor here in IN, and its a rough class. The sad part is, the EMS education curriculum only scratches the surface of the educational realm. After two months of classroom studies though, I can say I do look at things in a new light, and think I am able to communicate more effectively with others.

with others.

Edited by brentoli

Perhaps I was initially a bit cynical in the approach and made it sound like a lesson in humility. My origional idea was along the lines of the medical school concept. "See one, Do one, Teach one" I think having a proctor or co teacher as a fresh medic assisting in the basic class would provide someone who the students could relate easily, as a very educated EMS student who understands the demands of the class.

How does becoming an instructor teach 'humility'? In fact, it could work just the opposite.

Think about it: You've got a medic who clearly has a higher license level, better education and a wider scope of practice teaching those who are just begining; most will have no prior medical education and upon graduation, will have a very narrow scope of practice. This leads to a feeling of superiority, which is counterproductive to humility.

In Michgan, you have to have at least 3 years of 'field experience' before you even qualify to begin the courses to become a licensed EMT instructor. In the State of Georgia, you have to hold a current/valid State License to even be selected as an adjunct instructor. I think there's even a clause in it that says you have to be actively working in the field as well.

Instructors should be those that choose to do it, not doing it because it was forced upon them. This leads to the "I'm only here because I have to be." mentality, which doesn't bode well for teaching.

Even preceptors are in the program because they were selected and chose to do it. Not every EMT/EMT-I/Paramedic is selected to be a preceptor.

In the state of GA, (at least to the best of my knowledge), you have to hold at minimum a BS to be able to teach paramedics, and an EMT with an Associates Degree cannot be an EMT instructor.

• Like 1

Is not "education" a degree in of itself ?

I believe this is one of the great downfalls of any EMS Education system, allowing a Paraidiot and especially a new Grad to teach without an "education to teach". Just because one has "taken" this or that course does not equate to being competent at teaching the course, BLS or ALS levels.

As for SEE One, DO One, Teach One.

Yes an MD philosophy BUT with the previso that this is not the first occasion this or that procedure has been discussed or reviewed, Interns / Residents do not get the opportunity to practice a procedure unless the have the background .... sheesh, I believe you have taken this out of context as well.

A good Instructor should have confidence and the proven ability to teach sucssefully, in fact any new instuctor should be mentored as well, as teaching the future of this profession should not be left to new Grads needing a lesson in humility, wtf ?

I can not not telly you how many times I have heard a "Student" attempt to explain something that they "believe they understand in detail" as a direct result of a POOR instructor making shit up ! Fireman 1037 have your actually read some of the threads in this forum ???

That lesson should (if needed) be taught by field preceptors, frankly even the assumpion and gross generalization that and I quote: "to humble fresh out of school Paragods" is somewhat distasteful.

cheers