If you participate in a FSA or HSA

Just Plain Ruff

No longer can you jsut go to the store and purchase OTC remedies and supplies with your Flexible savings account debit card.

You have to have a prescription along with it. No prescription, no reimbursement or payment via the debit card.

I was talking to a doctor the other day and he recommended this.

Get an appointment with your family doctor as soon as possible in 2011.

Bring a list of medications and supplies that you might need for the year to come. HAve your family doctor write out scripts for all the items.

Here is my list my doctor already wrote scripts out for

Excedrin, tylenol, childrens tylenol and motrin, band-aids, rolaids or tums, anti-diarheals and other items.

My doctor gave me a script for each of these.

What you do next is when you need to buy some more of the above items and want to put it on your flexible spending debit card, you will be able to because you thought ahead to get a script for it. Otherwise you will need to either pay out of pocket or call your doctor for a appointment to get the script or have him call it in.

This entire ordeal is brought to you by the Health care overhaul of the USA.

I would heed this doctors advice because when people are told they cannot get their otc meds when they want them the doctors offices are going to start to fill up. Good luck getting an appointment in a reasonable time for this type of need.

If you belong to an HSA or a FSA then you should have gotten the letter already from the company who manages your FSA or HSA but if not they were derelict in their communication to you.

Why wait for a doctor's appoitment? This America, just go to the ER.

I didn't want to give anyone any ideas.

I can just imagine ER Doc being presented with this.

I didn't want to give anyone any ideas.

I can just imagine ER Doc being presented with this.

Just wait till you have to pick them up to bring them to the ER doctor. "Unit 1, Respond priority 3 for an HSA med refill."

I am kind of experiencing this, myself, as I am transitioning from employed to retired. Union pharmacy purchasing plan was canceled for a couple of days until the paperwork caught up. I never was without the Plavex or Zocor, however.