Amblance Companies in Philadelphia?

bandaidemt

Hi everyone, I am a new member to emtcity, although ive been trolling for a couple of months...

Im currently in NYC where we have a few companies, all with websites, but im looking into EMS companies in Philly, and not only are there few websites, but its difficult to obtain a definitive list on a google search or on my search here as well..

If someone could help me out, it'll be very much appreciated... Maybe w/ your personal fav.'s over there!?! :thumbsup:

thanks

What are you looking to do? If you're looking for 911 then look at Philly fire. They are the *only* 911 provider for the City of Philadelphia. They also do not hire EMTs to work the ambulance. They only hire medics for ambulance work. However, given how short staffed they are in terms of medics, they will pull FFs and stick them on an ambulance. (As a side note, the FFs hate it and it's visibly obvious in the lack of care provided.) There are some good people working for Philly fire as EMS providers. However, they are few and far between. PFD is an excellent example of how not to run a fire based EMS system... but that's a different discussion for a different thread.

If you're looking for a transport company, well, good luck with that. There are quite a few transport agencies in the city. But most of them change names on a fairly regular basis. None of them are well reputed. Job stability with them is almost absent as there are dozens of applicants for each opening (i.e. individual staff are expendable). I would *strongly* advise you not to consider working for any of these organizations.

If you're willing to consider outside of the City of Philadelphia, look to the surrounding counties. Delaware County, Chester County and Montgomery County are a little better developed in terms of EMS. Squads in those areas offer some better opportunity for web research as well. You also stand a better chance of getting hired as an EMT-B than you would in the city. You'd stand a much better chance if you were a medic, though.

There's always the New Jersey side of the river, too. But I can't really recommend looking there, either.

Hope this helps.

I've heard that PFD is pretty rough with their EMS system, I've heard several times that it's the worst in the country, dunno if it still is or not but yeah it's all ALS providers. I don't know much about the systems in Delco, Montco, and Bucks...but I hear a lot of the companies in Chester County pay pretty well, and that a lot are fire based. You can also check into Lancaster County, the larger companies (LEMSA, SVEMS, NWEMS, and MTEMS) handle alot of transports and 911 calls, pay isn't great especially if you're new, but they're always hiring.

First off I have to stand up for philadelphia...the biggest game in southeast pennsylvania. 35 paramedic units, dual staffed with paramedics. Where else near by can you have a steady paramedic partner? What system near by has brand new stryker strerchers, toughbook and drs computers, avl/gps dispatch? Starting pay around 35k up to 65k without overtime. Healthcare,pension,etc.

You have to be hired as a paramedic, and there are strong rumors of a new hiring of paramedics comming.

Expect Emt-B jobs to pay $10-20 depends on the squad in the counties and avoid privates unless its a corp company.

Definately not dogging out the Philly guy's and gal's, just seems that they catch a lot of heat. Isn't the busiest Medic unit in the country in Philly?

Over here in Lanco, The City and 'burb units are transitioning over to the power litters, as well as LP 15's and Phillips monitors. We have toughbooks and GPS systems. I never had any problems getting any ALS backup. LCWC has CAD with mapping so getting lost is a no go these days!

Philly is one of the places I'm interested in once I'm thru with Medic school.

You'll have to Google for websites and phone numbers. There may be more, but this is just Philadelphia County, Pa. These are 911, Transport, Van services, QRS units, helicopters, etc.. I gave the list, you get to weed out what you're looking for.

Temple Transport Team

100 East Lehigh Ave.

Philadelphia PA 19125

United Medical Transport

12301 McNulty Rd

Philadelphia PA 19114

Vitech Ambulance

2177 Bennett Rd #D

Philadelphia PA 19115

Wissinoming Ambulance

6179 Hegerman Street

Philadelphia PA 19135

1st Class Ambulance Inc

1725 Bustleton Pike

Philadelphia PA 19116

Advantage Ambulance

4710 N. 6th St

Philadelphia PA 19120

All Heart Medical Transport Inc.

1621 N. Delaware Avenue

Philadelphia PA 19125

Ambulance Services of America

7623 Ridge Ave

Phila PA 19128

American Medical Response

426-440 N. 8th St

Philadelphia PA 19123

Ameriheart Ambulance

13440 Damar Drive

Philadelphia PA 19116

Angel's Care, Inc

9998 Global Road

Philadelphia PA 19115

Art of Life, Inc

3020 Darnell Rd

Philadelphia PA 19154

ASAP CARE

1250 Adams Ave.

Willow Grove PA 19090

BaseLine Ambulance LLC

13440 Damar Drive Unit R16

Philadelphia PA 19116

Best Care Ambulance

9998 Global Rd.

Philadelphia PA 19116

BURHOLME EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICE

830 BLEIGH ST.

PHILA PA 19111

Century Ambulance Inc.

9998 Global Rd.

Philadelphia PA 19115

DNA AMBULANCE INC.

8351 HEGERMAN ST

PHILADELPHIA PA 19136

EasternCare Medical Services

8839 Torresdale Ave

Philadelphia PA 19136

Einstein Emergency Medical Services

60 East Township Line Road

Philadelphia PA 19141

Em-Star Ambulance Service

300 Domino Lane

Philadelphia PA 19127

Emergency Transport Associates, Inc D/B/A JeffSTAT

441 North 5th Street

Philadelphia PA 19123

Emstat

8300 Bustleton Ave.

Philadelphia PA 19115

First Call Ambulance Company LLC

5702 Newtown Ave.

Philadelphia PA 19120

GOLDEN HOUR AMBULANCE

2177 BENNETT RD

PHILADELPHIA PA 19116

Health Trans

8701 Torresdale Avenue

Philadelphia PA 19136

Hitech Ambulance, Inc

2179 Bennett Rd

Philadlephia PA 19115

HUMANE MEDICAL TRANSPORTATION

8649B West Chester Pike

PHILADELPHIA PA 19128

JeffSTAT Air Ambulance

441 North 5th Street

Philadelphia PA 19123

Keystone Quality Transport dba Sheppard Medical Se

12301 McNulty Road

Springfield PA 19064

LIFE AMBULANCE INC.

9998 GLOBAL RD Suite 31

PHILADELPHIA PA 19115

Life Line Ambulance

9988 Gantry Road

Philadelphia PA 19115

Life Shield

8300 Bustleton Ave

Southampton PA 18966

Med Express Ambulance, Inc.

1306-10 Unity Street

Philadelphia PA 19124

MEDCROSS AMBULANCE

2179 Bennett Rd

Philadelphia PA 19115

MedEx Ambulance

341 Philmont Ave.

Philadelphia PA 19115

MedHealth Ambulance Inc.

2705 Black Lake Place

Philadelphia PA 19154

MidAtlantic MedEvac

230 North Broad Street

Philadelphia PA 19102

Midlantic Medical Transport, Inc.

74 S. Powder Mill Road

Philadelphia PA 19120

Millennium Ambulance

9998 Global Rd Suite# 33

Philadelphia PA 19115

Network Ambulance Services

300 Domino Lane

Philadelphia PA 19127

Northeast First Aid Corps

4411 Rhawn St

Philadelphia PA 19136

Patriot Ambulance

380 red lion Road

Philadelphia PA 19115

Philadelphia Fire Department

240 Spring Garden Street

Philadelphia PA 19123

PROLIFE AMBULANCE

2911 FRANKS RD

PHILADELPHIA PA 19115

PROTECH AMBULANCE COMPANY INC.

3325 EDGEMONT STREET

PHILADELPHIA PA 19134

Rhawnhurst Bustleton Ambulance Association

2044 Grant Ave

Philadelphia PA 19115

Romed Ambulance

8312 State Rd

Philadelphia PA 19136

Salud Medical Services

6445 Rising Sun Ave

Phila. PA 19111

StarCare Ambulance Inc

12301 McNulty Road

Philadelphia PA 19114

Thank you everybody for your comments so far n keep 'em coming, there greatly appreciated. I'd also like to thank 4c6 for the company list... I amEMT-b so I guess PFD wouldn't be an option right now (damn I love action...) but anyway

I had no clue Philly privates were so MESSED up, that really bites as I'll be trying to go to school over there also.School is a reason I don't think I'll be able to travel outside of Philly for work opportunities :(

It's also sad to hear about the Job stability, b/c it will be absolutely essential at least until I'm finished...

My friends are there really no privates that could offer me at least a decent work environment and Good job stability in Philly? Is all hope gone??:unsure:

Thnks,

Bandaidemt

First off I have to stand up for philadelphia...the biggest game in southeast pennsylvania. 35 paramedic units, dual staffed with paramedics.

Philadelphia has a population of close to 1.5 million people. That's one ambulance for every 42,800 people. That is, it's one ambulance for almost 43000 people when they're all up and running. Once the 12 hour squads go down at night there are less ambulances on the street.

Many of these ambulances do shift change out in front of the station with the out-going crew driving by on the way to a call. The out going crew jumps out, in coming crew jumps in and the shift begins. They are crazy busy running from the minute they get there until the minute they leave if they can get out on time. Given the demands on their time based simply on call volume, the care provided isn't known to be spectacular. This isn't to say there aren't good providers working in this system. There are. But they are so hampered by time constraints and stacked calls that they don't really get a lot of time to do even the most basic aspects of patient care.

As a result of the call volume and limited resources, it is not uncommon to hear in the local news stories about extended waits for an ambulance resulting in the death of the patient waiting. It is more common to hear of extended delays in a wait for an ambulance not resulting in someone's death. Either way, having to wait 45 minutes or more is a glaring sign of a broken system.

Where else near by can you have a steady paramedic partner?

Have you looked at NJ?

No. NJEMS isn't any better than Philly but it does answer your question.

Also, please consider how many people get hired as a PFD medic only because they think it'll help them get into the suppression side faster than waiting on the hiring list. Do you really want your "medic partner", who is only there waiting to get his fire ticket punched, backing you up?

What system near by has brand new stryker strerchers, toughbook and drs computers, avl/gps dispatch? Starting pay around 35k up to 65k without overtime. Healthcare,pension,etc.

Brand new? In training maybe.

To follow your line of thinking, where else can you go where your supervisors don't support the line guys? Where else can you go to have your schedule completely overhauled in retaliation for city mandated, illegal work practices? (Specifically, PFD medics had to sue the city for years of unpaid overtime. The city lost the lawsuit. In return, the department completely overhauled scheduling for PFD medics and have worked to create what many medics are calling a hostile work environment where even the most minor of "infractions" results in a lengthy disciplinary action.)

You have to be hired as a paramedic, and there are strong rumors of a new hiring of paramedics comming.

Spelling counts. So what you're saying is that PFD is moving into the sex industry?

If you're really blinded by shiny things and bells and whistles then maybe PFD is the place for you. But if you're looking for a quality employer who will not only provide you the training you need to succeed but back you up when you need it PFD isn't the place to be.

It is a broken system that has, and will continue to, cost people their lives.

Come to medic school here...crozer/delco, jefferson, star plenty of places!

There is not a single accredited paramedic program in the Philadelphia area. As such, you take your chances with your training. Also, at least two of the places you've mentioned have been accused of being medic mills. Consider, too, that the same training (I can't call what they do education) can be obtained for thousands less elsewhere in the area. So you are correct is saying there are plenty of places. Unfortunately, you're not making the distinction between plenty of *quality* places.

Philly has the LP15, but its not always equipment that matters. Its plenty of young quality medics and ems leadership that wants to grow.

Come to medic school here...crozer/delco, jefferson, star plenty of places!

In your previous post, you asked who had new equipment and technology, so I answered your question. Your right though, all of it is useless unless there's competent providers to staff the rigs and make a difference in this career.

My work offers a free tuition to Medic school at Reading Hospital, of course that's with a 3 year contract. I'm sure PFD has a residency requirement, there's no way in hell the wifey would agree to move to Philly!!!!

HOLY SMOKES! That's a big list of companies there 4c6!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.