Hello from Howard County, MD

JJR512

Greetings! I am new to this website, but not entirely new to EMS.

I originally became an EMT-B in 2006 while a member of Ferndale Volunteer Fire Company, Station 34 in Anne Arundel County, MD. I was not a riding member in that county, for reasons I may go into at some future time. I worked for a few different private ambulance companies, doing mainly inter-facility transports, and occasionally some critical-care transport as well. I lost my job at my last company, for reasons I may go into at some future time, right around the time I was supposed to get my EMT-B renewed. By that time, I was no longer a member at Ferndale, and without being a member or employee of an EMS provider, I wasn't able to take the EMT-B refresher class. So I lost my EMT-B in 2009. At the time, I wasn't worried about it, thinking my interests were going in a different direction.

Earlier this year, I came to realize I was wrong about my interests, and decided to get recertified. I joined the Savage Volunteer Fire Company, Station 6 in Howard County, MD. However, it was too late for me to take the refresher, so I'm taking the entire EMT-B course over again. It's actually not as bad as it sounds. I never got any emergency experience, and doing IFT, most skills never get used, so I felt that I'd forgotten most of what I had learned. Although I was pretty good with nasal cannulas, let me tell you! Anyway, I'm currently taking that course right now, and am about two-thirds done. Final tests are in February.

I am still unemployed, a situation I desperately need to change. I have a wife and two kids, and between my wife's job and some help from our parents, we've been getting by, but that's not the way it's supposed to be.

My overall goal is to become a pediatrics critical care transport nurse.

Hey welcome to the City!!

after reading your intro as mentioned sounds like you have had a rough road but are taking the steps to get back to the right place. Hope school is going well for you and that you are enjoying it as much as you did the first time.

Good luck on finding some work in your area. Lots of work out here in BC, Canada for medics!!

Welcome again and look forward to your future posts.

Brian :beer:

Welcome to the City Jason.

I'm going to be assigned to the Baltimore Maryland area for about 6 months for a new contract and if Howard County is close, I'll offer some fellowship and help you in your class if you need it.

Michael

Thanks everyone!

Just for the record, the name is Justin...

Ruffems, Howard County borders Baltimore County to the southwest. From where I live, I can be in the downtown area in 15-20 minutes barring any traffic slowdowns. What kind of contract are you working on?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.