Periodic table of elements: receiving a small makeover

chbare

I think it was a long time coming. If I had to guess, we may need to extend this out to many more elements. Basically, the atomic weight is an average that consideres an amalgamation of the various isotopes.

If true, a big change may come out of some data regarding the proton. If this pans out, the foundation of quantum electrodynamics (basically, the study of how the electron works) may need a revision.

Take care,

chbare.

Damn, the world as I know it has changed.

I remember studying the periodic table and memorizing the atomic weights. (they are long forgotten though).

Now students will have to memorize the range.

I agree with Dwayne, what will the next 100 years bring?

Anyone care to speculate?

I think the new change was a long time coming as we've known about isotopes for a while and the current atomic weights basically averaged amalgamations of the various element isotopes.

Regarding new changes; I think we have a great foundation in quantum mechanics (QM), and I think every subsequent theory in the future will be a quantum mechanical theory. In spite of all the misconceptions of uncertainty, waves particles and so on, QM is a very accurate way to describe nature. In fact, with a very reudimantary understanding, I can calculate scary accurate electron binding and ionisation energies.

I think the newest stuff will revolve around ways of bringng the four forces together and perhaps cleaning up the mess known as the standard model. Hopefully, we can begin to make sense of the above concepts as more information comes from the LHC.

Take care,

chbare.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.