Better EMS System

Ryan272

Better the EMS Program

Hi all, i am in the VERY end of my EMT-B program and have to do a presentation on something that can "Better the EMS System.

I have a few idea but not enough information to back up my idea. So i was wondering if someone had any ideas that i could look into and do the presentation on, if they would not mind me using that idea. Also if i use your idea i can send you the information on it if you would like me to.

All i need is an idea that i can run with and have a good amount of information on. Any ideas can help me so please post something.

Some Examples from other Classmates

Inducing Hypothermia Survival Rates

Broken Heart Syndrome

Lightning Strikes Treatment

Implanted Electronic Medical Alert Tags

My Presentation

PowerPoint

5 Minutes

I need something i can feel comfortable standing up in front of our Medical Director, EMS Chiefs, and ED Physicians for 5 minutes and I need to know a lot about the particular subject to sell them on the idea

Please help

any ideas can

Thanks

-Ryan

The benefits of removing Fire depts from EMS to improve quality and education.

Truly, I can guarantee you that if you run with creating a requirement for min of AAS as entry level to paramedic medicine you will have the love of your ER doc and medical advisor, but the scorn of your EMS supervisors. But if you have balls, that is truly the way to go. Almost everything wrong with EMS revolves around that.

As Kiwi said, most other countries wouldn't let most of our folks on an ambulance. We're still the better providers, don't get me wrong, because of our spirit...just sayin'...

You might hit up Lone Star, as he's recently done a college level paper on the same subject, he may be able to help you with resources.

Dwayne

You do not have the experience to present some of the ideas suggested. Why not make it simple, and write about what you know; ie..... what if you wrote about your clinical experiences from the student's perspective:

1. How could those third-rides have been a more educational experience ?

2. Were you treated like one of the family, or like a burden ?

3. Is there some equipment/procedures you could have trained on in the classroom prior to your third ride that would have made it better ?

4. Were there identified objectives for your clinicals, were those objectives met ?

5. Should your clinical time have been longer or shorter ?

• Like 1

You do not have the experience to present some of the ideas suggested. Why not make it simple, and write about what you know; ie..... what if you wrote about your clinical experiences from the student's perspective:

1. How could those third-rides have been a more educational experience ?

2. Were you treated like one of the family, or like a burden ?

3. Is there some equipment/procedures you could have trained on in the classroom prior to your third ride that would have made it better ?

4. Were there identified objectives for your clinicals, were those objectives met ?

5. Should your clinical time have been longer or shorter ?

Must one be a certified mechanic to realize that a flat tire is a 'bad thing', or that your car won't start when you turn the key?

Must you be a licensed contractor to realize that your leaking roof needs to be repaired?

Was Thomas Edison a licensed electrician with 25 years experience when he came up with the incandescent light bulb?

The correct answer to all of the questions above is a resounding "Of course not!" The same mentality applies here. The fact that you can recognize that there is a 'problem' is half of the battle to forming a 'solution'.

Part of the 'research portion' of the project CAN include personal interviews with those that are 'more seasoned' in the field of EMS.

Clinical experience is subjective to the events of the day. I know people in my EMT/EMT-I classes that had to schedule extra clinical times simply due to the fact that it was a 'nothing bad happened today' situation.

The point remains: one does not need a plethora of experience to realize that there's a problem with the current structure of EMS. It's what you do once you realize that there IS an issue, that makes the difference.

But I do see Crotchity's point. How can a B student be expected to understand how increased education can value EMS when he's not really a part of EMS yet? Has been presented with nothing to date that required more than skills, and certainly not education. I've not been able to make that point to basic/medic firemen that have a generation in the field!

So though Edison didn't need a license to invent the light bulb, he certainly needed education and experience with electricity to make it happen. Also Crotchity's suggestions let the kids comment on something that they are experts in, how the experience translated physically, emotionally, and mentally for them. Forcing them to evaluate their behavior as well as the clinical. I like it.

I get what you're saying Lone Star, and do see the value in having them research a larger issue. But it's basic class, and a 5 min presentation, not much time to get too deep into anything really....

Dwayne