New to the site

Navyvet

Hi everyone. I found this site while looking up things online, and thought that it may come in handy when I begin classes in the fall. My husband and I are both Navy veterans. We just moved to Ohio from Georgia this summer when my husband got out of the Navy. When we lived in Georgia, I started volunteering with the local fire department. While working with them, I had the opportunity to become CPR/AED certified and certified as a first responder. In our area, fire fighters and EMS would both respond to medical calls, so I discovered that I am better at EMS than fire fighting. I'll be starting classes next fall for Fire Science and EMS (Basic and Paramedic). Since we live in a big city, fire fighters and medics have to be trained in both. I know that volunteers tend to get picked on, but I was grateful to have had the chance to try it out and make sure that this is the profession that I'd like to be in. More specifically, my husband feels better about my ability to do the job and be able to handle the types of calls I would have to go on. If any one has questions, feel free to ask.

Welcome to the City. You wil find some very useful topics about EMS here and everybody on the site from my experience are all willing to answer any questions you may have. Sounds like you have figured out your passion in EMS. It is a great career as you get to help people and you are alway learning.

Again welcome to the City and I look forward to seeing your posts in the future :beer:

Brian

Welcome to the City!!

You're certainly off to a good start with your few posts! That's awesome!! We can be hard of vollies here, as well as fire sometimes, but in time I believe that you'll come to see that often it's justified, other times we're just being assholes, but mostly justified I hope. And none of that will reflect on you as a student or effect your opportunity to thrive here. We've got many, many members here that are well respected despite being infected with the volly or hosemonkey virus.

Jump in, be brave, ask question, answer questions when you can, and even more important, try to answer them when you think that you can't.

You'll do fine!

Have a great day!

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.