When choosing a school

mobey

Probably one of the most common questions prospective students ask is "Which school should I attend"

As practitioners in the field we will usually give advise based off our experience with students and perhaps our own school. Do we really have the knowledge to give sound advise to these people?

What gives us the expertise to recommend a specific school?

To properly advise a prospective student in quality of education, shoulden't we take ALL the programs in the province... then make a recommendation?

My point is this. When a student asks me which school to attend, I need to know what thier purpose in education, only then can I give my personal opinion of the schools that fit that criteria, based on my experience with thier students.

Sounds like pretty shakey advice hey? Well it is!

That is why I created this post. The purpose of this post is to provide students with some questions they should ask thier schools to ensure they get the education they require, in a format that they can learn from.

Please add as you see fit.

1) Formal in-class lecture/lab hrs?

2) Is there full time instructors?

3) Average class size?

4) Average success rate

5) CMA accredited? (if Canadian)

6) When are practicums scheduled?

7) Are thier urban practicum placements?

8) Do the instructors have any formal adult education training?

9) What kind of equipment does the school own? (2 man stretchers, LP500, etc etc)

10)???

• Like 1

What kind of clinical opportunities are available? (Locations, how busy the hospitals are, opportunities to intubate, average number of skills performed per student during clinicals, average number of intubations per student, support from the local medical community, etc.)

What are the hourly requirements for clinicals and field internship?

What additional resources does the program have available to prepare the students for passing the NREMT (or the equivalent in your country)? (I.e. emscat.com, etc.)

How many lab assistants are available? What kind of teaching experience do they have?

Is the program accredited? And if so, what sort of standing/ranking does it have?

What kind of pre-FI training is available to actual field work? (That is, simulated scenarios on a more massive scale than lab, involving full equipment and possibly actual ambulances.)

• Like 1

1) Formal in-class lecture/lab hrs? Lecture format is also of great importance considering the variation in learning styles.

2) Is there full time instructors? All about continuity and consistency of instruction. One thing I will give the instructors for my current program credit for is working diligently to ensure their instruction is consistent.

3) Average class size?

4) Average success rate

5) CMA accredited? (if Canadian) Absolutely critical for any Canadian institution. As well instructed as a program may be if it isn’t accredited it isn’t worth your time.

6) When are practicums scheduled?

7) Are thier urban practicum placements? Also are there rural placements. The “big show” is rural as far as I’m concerned. The longer your transport time the more important your assessment and treatment plan becomes. I know you’ve been privy to that first hand.

8) Do the instructors have any formal adult education training?

9) What kind of equipment does the school own? (2 man stretchers, LP500, etc etc)

10)???

I would also add. How well do credits from your institution transfer to other schools/universities? I fully expect the Advanced Care Paramedic level will require a four year bachelors degree within the next ten years. As things currently stand it already takes three years of education so it won’t be much of a stretch.

• Like 1