NYS EMS Certifications

Alex Woo

I totally agree... The EMT-B must know how to assist the AEMTs... It is in the back of the EMT book... I really don't know why the minimum is 110hr and I don't know why many courses are sticking with it; why can't all just have their course 150+hrs? So much more the EMT-B can do now; what are we sacrificing to have the course go 110hrs? Some may argue the tuition reimbursement is slow and low. Some may argue that they don't have enough instructors. Some may argue many students can't commit to that long of a class session. Some may argue that the state requires a minumum and they'll stick with the state minimum. U feel we hinder care; when we decrease training. My goal is to make Prehospital care in NYS and throughout the US. Many are aguing my approach; what I'm lacking; where I need to go; how I can propose this; who am I; my idea is absurb. yes, my idea maybe far fetch but change is built on ideas. Hopefully an EMS Org will assist me with this. I know my idea, if accepted, won't be taken fully. I believe if you give a person a choice of least resistance; they'll take it. I'm tryong to eliminate the path of least resistance.... Remember being an EMT is a profession; by making it into a hobby and weakening the course; we weaken the provider. Thank you...

My ñYS Senator W. Larkin Jr has wrote me a letter of support and wrote a letter to the NYS EMS Director, L Burns requesting him to review my proposal. I'm inching closer to the yard of a dilemna... My written proposal is coming along. I will hand it to the members of SEMAC.... Thx y'all....

You will be fighting resistance in one area that I recall from years gone by, that of the EMTs and Paramedics from the smaller communities in the low population areas. They will claim hardship due to travel distance to training centers, especially during snow season, when they can get stranded for days in towns over 100 miles from home, or the commute of vast distance twice, or in some cases, three times a week.

The way my proposal is structured. The new EMT-B/I/P will be affected the most. It will be difficult for the EMT-I85 and the EMT-P but in time the pain they'll have gone thru will have passed. My idea is just to put it out there and to see my peers reactions. Its up to the authorities in EMS to really make this change. I have many ideas but its up to them to have this change take affect. If its about the providers and not the patients; then we're not doing what's right. Healthcare is suppose to advance; I'm just assisting in advancing EMS care on every level. I'm asking for standards to improve. EMS is not a hobby; I'm trying to propel this field into a profession...

• 3 weeks later...

I don't want to revive an old post, but I just came across somethign that was relevant. Here's a link that you may find interesting...I saw a mention of this in EMSWorld magazine and here's the link:

http://www.nasemsd.org/documents/Resolution2010-04NationalCertificationandProgramAccreditation20101013.pdf

from the PDF: "be it resolved that NASEMSO supports January 1, 2013 as the beginning date for the NREMT to require graduation from a nationally accredited paramedic education program as a requirement for personnel to gain national EMS certification"

There are a few other recent resolutions from NASEMSO that may also help.

This looks like it may be a good starting point. With a national EMS organization passing this kind of resolution, you may find it easier to work with them to try to improve NYS Paramedic training program. Once that is accomplished, work on the other levels.