New-B

ShortC

Hello Everyone, My name is Courtney. I am new to this site and I will be starting my EMS basic training in the Spring (January). I am currently transferring out of nursing school to start EMS/Paramedic school, does anyone have any advice as to what will help me alone in my new journey? and also are there any supplies or items that I should get before starting school?

Thank you:D

Thank you very much, luckliy the school that I am taking my EMT-basic classes also has a paramedic program so once Im done with basic training in May(hopefully). I can just jump right into my paramedic degree:D

Welcome. Really not many if any supplies needed depends on your school. Make sure you enroll in a Paramedic program as soon as possible.

Hello Everyone, My name is Courtney. I am new to this site and I will be starting my EMS basic training in the Spring (January). I am currently transferring out of nursing school to start EMS/Paramedic school, does anyone have any advice as to what will help me alone in my new journey? and also are there any supplies or items that I should get before starting school?

Thank you:D

Hey Courtney, Welcome to the City.

Why are you transferring out of nursing school? How far along were you?

And I think what spenac was referring to was that unless you are in an area that has available Basic positions at quality agencies then ignore the "Should be a basic for a year before going to medic" nonsense. A year at a yahoo volly fire dept is not going to help you in achieving your goals, it will simply give you bad habits that future employers will hate.

Good luck on your chosen path, we'll be happy to help if we can.

Dwayne

I am transferring out of nursing school because I am no longer happy at the school that I have been attending. I was in my second semester, (that would be Nursing 2), my school as 4 levels of nursing. I have always wanted to become a volunteer EMT but just never had the time. So i decided I would change gears a little bit and go to EMT school, gain experience and then later on, return to nursing school.:)

Hey Courtney, Welcome to the City.

Why are you transferring out of nursing school? How far along were you?

And I think what spenac was referring to was that unless you are in an area that has available Basic positions at quality agencies then ignore the "Should be a basic for a year before going to medic" nonsense. A year at a yahoo volly fire dept is not going to help you in achieving your goals, it will simply give you bad habits that future employers will hate.

Good luck on your chosen path, we'll be happy to help if we can.

Dwayne

I am transferring out of nursing school because I am no longer happy at the school that I have been attending. I was in my second semester, (that would be Nursing 2), my school as 4 levels of nursing. I have always wanted to become a volunteer EMT but just never had the time. So i decided I would change gears a little bit and go to EMT school, gain experience and then later on, return to nursing school.:)

Hey Girl, thanks for your reply. The reason I asked is to try and figure out what education you've already obtained to try and help you decide what might be good to do while you wait. Unfortunately I didn't help myself very much with my questions.. dry.gif

Did you have A&P prior to beginning your nursing program, or during it? What other courses have you taken?

I also asked why you've changed because it's not an uncommon story to hear people that find nursing school to be too challenging drop it for medic in the hopes that it will be easier. When speaking to these folks it has not been my experience that they have found that to be true.

After hearing what classes you've taken some of us may be able to more productively give you some idea of decent ways to spend your time while you wait for classes to start again.

You sound smart and energetic! That's a great start...I look forward to your comments...

Dwayne

Hey Girl, thanks for your reply. The reason I asked is to try and figure out what education you've already obtained to try and help you decide what might be good to do while you wait. Unfortunately I didn't help myself very much with my questions.. dry.gif

Did you have A&P prior to beginning your nursing program, or during it? What other courses have you taken?

I also asked why you've changed because it's not an uncommon story to hear people that find nursing school to be too challenging drop it for medic in the hopes that it will be easier. When speaking to these folks it has not been my experience that they have found that to be true.

After hearing what classes you've taken some of us may be able to more productively give you some idea of decent ways to spend your time while you wait for classes to start again.

You sound smart and energetic! That's a great start...I look forward to your comments...

Dwayne

[/quote

Hey, thank you very much for all your comments. LOL thankfully, i have taken all the "required" coarses besides a few last min english and math classes, which I will be taking in January when I start. Everything else is done! lol which i am happy to say, so this way when I start my training I can throw myself completely into studying for that. Unlike other ex-nursing students, I did not drop out because I found it challenging (i knew that nursing school would be challenging), I just could NOT STAND the nursing program at my current school any longer. Thats when I decided to go to EMT school to get the experience and knowledge that I did not feel I was getting at my current school. I am VERY excited for school to start and also a little anxious to learn what "ride-ons" are all about. I have done many clincals before, but something tells me this semester's clincal will be nothing like I am used to (lol) but I'am ready for it! Could you give me a little preview of what I can expect in my future semesters?

Thanks so much

Courtney:)

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.