EMT-P Drug Profiles

nikwho

i found that writing them out was the best way to do it.

One other thing - put post it notes on the areas in the house that you most frequent.

Bathroom, kitchen, stove, sink, doors etc etc

on each post it note put a drug name

When you get to that area in the house and see the drug listed - recite your drug card. Put a hash mark down and when you hit 5 hashmarks then exchange that postit note for a new drug post it note.

Rinse repeat

• 1 month later...

I am with annie. I have gone through a lot of index cards. BUT, writing them over and over really helped me. I also created a "test" if you will that is a sheet of paper with a drug name on top and I have to fill in all the rest of the info like dose, indications, contraindications, side effects etc. When I was struggling with my Dopamine vs. Dobutamine, I really used those and it helped me out TONS

good luck

You can also get the Mosby's Paramedicine drug cards which got me thru school, http://www.us.elsevierhealth.com/product.jsp?isbn=9780323048194&_requestid=317739

• 8 months later...

Word to the wise, learn your lidocaine and dopamine drip concentrations.

Very good point. In school, it became part of any scenario. Not only did we have to state the drug we were given, but how to mix the drip if indicated. Lido/Dopa/Epi were drilled in to us!

I`ve always tried learning through understanding, not only through memorizing the information. Of course, you gotta memorize it in the end, but if you try to understand certain ways of reactions, I`ve always found it easier to get to learn the facts.

So, instead of only reading through the facts over and over again - try to think them through, like: What does Adrenalin? What effects does it have, what can happen if you overdose? Seeing the way it reacts, what would be contraindications? Etc...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

These arnt cards, but they will help anyway:

http://www.adaweb.net/Paramedics/Pages/SWOTableofContents.aspx

At the bottom are our current drug profiles. We are adding Zantac soon as well. I have the old ones on file for a lot of the ones we dont carry anymore, like phenergan and brytillium if you need those too.

BTW, Strong recommendation for writing your own drug profiles over and over again.

I teach paramedic students and I will give a blank drug profile as part of a queze...just to prove a point. I am sure your instructor will too.

Steve

Why not do what most college students do, cram the night before the test or better yet, put all your cards on the table in a pile and fall asleep on them. The information will miraculously osmose into your brain crossing the blood brain/intelligence barrier and be there in your mind to pull out at a moments notice.

But to be all honest, you got some great information from almost everyone on this thread.

When I had to do drug profiles, I figured out how to adjust the settings in Microsoft Word so that I could type them out. I then printed them off in (my printer didn't like me much after that!).

All that needs to be done is load the cards (5x8 inch) correctly (I used cards that were blank on both sides ). Just load the cards into the printer so that the 5" side is your 'top' and 'bottom' and then slide your paper guide all the way to the side, just like you would do for a stack of 'regular paper'....

The cards are set up for drug name (centered across the top of the card), Classification, theraputic action, indications, contraindications, precautions, and both adult and pediatric dosages.

Some drugs took two cards to complete. I researched the drugs online, n my books and even went to the pharmacist at the local Walgreens and CVS to get drug information. I've got enough paper on drugs to make a document that completely maxes out the extra large binder clips. The pharmacists thought I was some sort of nut case asking for all these profiles.....lol

The drug name is in 16 point bold, each category is 14 point bold and the text is in 12 point.

Each drug card looks something like this:

ALBUTEROL (Proventil)

CLASS: Sympathomimetic bronchodilator

THERAPUTIC ACTIONS: Relaxation of smooth muscle of bronchial tree. Decreases airway resistance, facilitates mucous drainage, inhibits histamine release from MAST cells; reduces mucous secretions, capillary leaking and mucosal edema caused by an allergic response in the lungs.

INDICATIONS: Relieve bronchospasm in patients with reversible obstructive airway disease (asthma, COPD, emphysema)

CONTRAINDICATIONS: known hypersensitivity to drug, tachydysrhythmias

PRECAUTIONS: Blood pressure, pulse and EKG should be monitored. Use caution in patients with known heart disease (Due to B1 effects)

SIDE EFFECTS: Bronchospasm, chest pain, tachycardia/palpitations, tremor/nervousness, hyperkalemia, hypertension, headache/vertigo, nervousness, insomnia, cough/hoarseness, sore throat, rhinorrhea, stuffy nose, dry mouth/throat, muscle pain, diarrhea

DOSAGE: 0.5ml (2.5mg in 2.5ml normal saline over 5-15 minutes), repeat PRN as needed (2.5-5mg)

PEDIATRIC: 0.15mg/kg in 2.5-3.0ml normal saline, repeat as needed.

Ok, easier than that Lone

Go to Office depot, office max, staples or whatever

Go the printer paper aisle, ask the store employee where the printable index cards are. Usually Avery puts out a bunch of nice sets of items.

Buy the package. Go home, go to avery.com and search for the package number on the pack you just bought and download it.

It will automatically be a choice in your word processor.

Begin to use the template by typing the info on the card.

then click print and choose the right template. Easy peasy

Just follow the directions given in the package.

I've done this for address lables, bookmarks, bumper stickers and many other items from Avery.

You don't even need to buy the package, just find the package number and download it from Avery. Fill out the template for each drug card and print. Bam instant drug cards.