Paramedic School

bball160

Hey guys I'm fairly new to this site so I apologize in advance if this is the wrong section. Anyways i will be going into paramedic school next year and was looking for some tips on preparing for this daunting course. Any advice would be much appreciated

Sleep as much as you can, because pretty soon you won't be sleeping hardly at all.

Just kidding, but you probably will find yourself sleeping a little less than you have been once you start.

I'm in my last semester of paramedic school, so I'll give you what was probably the best advice that was given to me by my program director. In paramedic school, you'll find yourself struggling at first, and then you'll finally reach a point where you've gotten the hang of it and you plateau and you'll start to feel comfortable, and then you'll have to start climbing again. And then you'll reach another plateau, and you'll get comfortable, but it won't last for very long before you find yourself climbing yet again. Every time you reach that plateau and you get to where you feel like you've got the hang of it, you're going to find yourself having to climb and work a little bit more. That's how it has been for me throughout the entire program, anyway.

It's a lot of fun, and if you really want it you're going to find yourself loving every minute of it--even when you're sick to death of it at the same time. It's worth every second, every bead of sweat, and every moment of thinking "I'm never going to get this." Another piece of advice, for the love of everything holy, have your social and family life in order, and definitely have your finances in order. Day one of field internship is not the time to realize that you aren't going to be able to keep a roof over your head unless you can keep working full time at your day job--and trust me, you won't have time for that in field internship.

Sleep as much as you can, because pretty soon you won't be sleeping hardly at all.

Just kidding, but you probably will find yourself sleeping a little less than you have been once you start.

I'm in my last semester of paramedic school, so I'll give you what was probably the best advice that was given to me by my program director. In paramedic school, you'll find yourself struggling at first, and then you'll finally reach a point where you've gotten the hang of it and you plateau and you'll start to feel comfortable, and then you'll have to start climbing again. And then you'll reach another plateau, and you'll get comfortable, but it won't last for very long before you find yourself climbing yet again. Every time you reach that plateau and you get to where you feel like you've got the hang of it, you're going to find yourself having to climb and work a little bit more. That's how it has been for me throughout the entire program, anyway.

It's a lot of fun, and if you really want it you're going to find yourself loving every minute of it--even when you're sick to death of it at the same time. It's worth every second, every bead of sweat, and every moment of thinking "I'm never going to get this." Another piece of advice, for the love of everything holy, have your social and family life in order, and definitely have your finances in order. Day one of field internship is not the time to realize that you aren't going to be able to keep a roof over your head unless you can keep working full time at your day job--and trust me, you won't have time for that in field internship.

The climbing/plateau/climbing is a great analogy. The only thing I could hope to add is that when you're on the plateau, don't think you journey is over, there are many plateaus before you reach the mountain top!

Develop good study habits, and don't put your homework off until the last minute. That only leads to rushing to beat deadlines, and decreases comprehension and retention.

We all go through that "I just don't get it!" phase just before that "AHA! moment", it's perfectly normal; especially when you're learning something new. Don't give up!

Best of luck!

LS

Be prepared to not have a life until you are done. Clinical hours get to where they drag somedays. Just make sure that you study. It isnt a course that is "oh yea I can do this without studying." It takes effort and hard work.

Sleep? Yea, I dont know what that is either. LOL. But I am working, on call hours, clinicals, and other classes in addition to paramedic. I am not trying to scare you away, but it is hard work. It takes time away from having a life.

If you have questions ASK! There is no such thing as a dumb question. If you still have questions ask here. There is always SOMEONE who can help you understand. Sometimes that extra help and looking at things a different way can help you make things click. This also goes for clinicals. I have had wonderful doctors help me understand things.

I am in my last semester and a half of school and it has been fully worth it! I am glad I am doing this, but it is a lot of hard work. :) I wish you the best of luck.

Ash

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.