9-11 Observance

Richard B the EMT

In addition to the televised reading of the names of all those killed at Ground Zero, FDNY EMS Command held a ceremony at the EMS Academy in Fort Totten, in Bayside, Queens. We have two stone columns with waterfalls built in, next to a wall with the names of all the FDNY, NYPD and Port Authority of New York and New Jersey Police Department personnel killed.

At the "Moment of Silence" commemoration of the first plane hitting the Trade Center, one of the waterfalls was activated. Then, led by the top chiefs of the EMS Command, past and present, followed by Captains, Lieutenants, and regular EMTs and Paramedics, and the next class of student EMS personnel, with accompanying salutes to the Academy personnel acting as Honor Guards, 2 silver ladles were handed to the personnel to dip into the pond the waterfalls feed, and water the two Evergreen Firs on either side of the columns, return the ladle, then get a rose to place on the wall, or in front of it.

At the time of the second plane hitting the trade center, the waterfall on the second column was started, and there was a second moment of silence. The moments of silence were repeated at the time the first, and then the second towers fell, the line of EMS personnel watering the trees and placing the flowers briefly halted for those moments of silence.

Except when the FDNY Bagpipe Band was playing "Amazing Grace," somber music was piped over the area. Strange how the words of "Unchained Melody" were so appropriate:

Oh, my love, my darling, I hunger for your touch.

Following the ceremony, I went to a small park on a large traffic "triangle" in Astoria. This was for a wreath laying, honoring my EMS classmate, Carlos Lillo, for whom the park is now named, one of the two FDNY EMS Command Paramedics included in "The 343". Speeches by a regular school classmate, who is now retired from FDNY EMS, family members, and a few other colleagues who worked with him, at Astoria Volunteer Ambulance Corps, and in both NYC HHC EMS, and FDNY EMS, were made.

Just before sunset, in Rockaway Park, I concluded my observances at "Tribute Park", a small park on the north side of Beach Channel Drive at Beach 116th Street, where 2 singers, accompanying themselves with a guitar, performed a few musical numbers, before the names of people from Rockaway were read. In an interesting touch, Fire Fighters' names were read by a Retired Fire Fighter, civilian names were read by the President of the Rockaway Chamber of Commerce (I think that is who that was, anyway), and Fire Department Lieutenants, Captains, and Chief's names were read by a retired Battalion 47 Chief.

At this point of the ceremony, the US Flag, which had been flown over the White House, was raised to full staff, and then lowered, and folded, by the crews of FDNY Engine 268 and Ladder 137, under the command of the Battalion 47 Chief. This was followed by the playing of "Taps".

As it got dark, in the distance, the New York skyline was seen, with the "Towers of Light" illuminating the clouds from the Ground Zero site.

Edited by Richard B the EMT